People who aren't electrical engineers(building amp related)
Feb 8, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #16 of 22
If you can build a CMOY then the Pimeta, PPA, Gilmore Dynalo etc. (basically most PCB based amps) become a piece of cake. Its when you get crazy (Dynahi or tubes) that you need a bit of EE to wade through the assembly...

Do the CMOY - it looks easy but it can be quite frustrating for a beginner.

Progress as follows :-

* CMOY
* Learn about basic EE (I have excellent books...PM me)
* Do the MINT
* Learn a little more...
* Do the PPA

And you should be good to go
tongue.gif

Cheers!

gs

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
I'm a Mech E, but I think I enjoy amp building a lot more than any of my ME stuff.
biggrin.gif

word to that.... except the materials lab is a hell of a lot of fun... (ME (3rd yr) EE (2nd 1/2 yr) double major)

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 22
I don't think you have to be too "Wired" towards the EE side of things. If you have a somewhat mechanical mind and can understand how things are affected by other things you will be on your way. Also, respect power. I'm a filmmaker. Far from and EE but my first amp was a mint and my second was a PPA. I had plenty of stupid questions but with guys like Tangent and MisterX lurking about, the support system is here. The biggest thing I think is to just sit and look at the schematic. Also to try to understand what things do, why they are there. Also understand how the power flows. Once you figure these things out it becomes easier and easier. Good luck!

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by @sia@home
This is a good attitude mate. We will be here to help you debug when you get your first hitch hehe.

If you do it slow enough, and read most of the schematics, you should get them working first go.

My main problem with building any of tangents amps has been me using the wrong lugs on the input/output jacks, thinking somethings horribly wrong, just to find out I haven't even connected the input properly.

Yep, I'm not an EE either. (briefly majored in ChemE, but have long forgot how circuit schematics fluency.)
So far I've built a CMoy, Pimeta, and a Mint.

And yes, we are here to help.

Many others have helped me here, and will help you.

One of the best "tools" you can have is a decent digital camera. Take well focused close up pics of your work, and you will get quick and decisive advice.

-Ed

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
One of the best "tools" you can have is a decent digital camera.

Far cheaper is a scanner. It has the depth of field to take pics of both sides of boards, as long as tall components like caps aren't mounted yet.

Take frequent pictures of your soldering at 1200 dpi, and focus on whatever it takes to make these pictures very pretty. You'll get better, fast, and start to think everyone else's solder work looks like a Mars landing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back