People, the Source matters!
Dec 6, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]Why is it that many members skimp with regards to their sources? In what universe does it make sense to spend thousands of dollars on Headphones and an amp to drive them and then use a crappy source?[/size]

[size=small]I’ve got news for you; a used Sony Playstation is not a worthy source for a truly high-end headphone or speaker based system. I own one and it’s almost as good as my Oppo DV970HD that serves as my bedroom source. Neither is good enough to set foot in either my high-end speaker rig or my headphone rig. Either would be fine in a $300 to $800 system, but above that I’d seriously consider any number of players from NAD, Cambridge Audio or others.[/size]

[size=small]I actually believe that certain reviewers periodically decide to prank the audio community by starting rumors about and then reviewing certain cheap or long discontinued products. There was the Optimus CD-3400 back in the early 90’s. “Sam Tellig” [size=xx-small](sic)[/size] should have gotten a kickback from Radio Shack because his review in Stereophile had to have sold thousands of the little suckers. I know; I purchased one of them. It was a good sounding portable, but its performance was not even remotely close to that of my Denon DCD-1520. So I used it as a portable until it died after about a year. The same can be said of the Oppo DV970HD. It’s a great $160 player, but it doesn’t really compare with any number of quality players in the $300-$500 range. I purchased one on the strength of its reviews, and it is relegated to my bedroom system (To be honest I purchased it as my bedroom source, although I did try it in my big system). It was (I believe that it is now discontinued) an exceptional $160 player, but it was no giant killer.[/size]

[size=small]As far as the Playststion goes; any number of reviewers have drank the Cool Aid as far as it goes. It does little to offend and just as little to excite. If you are using one and you think that you’re using a high end source you are deluding yourself. [/size]

[size=small]Using a Playstation as the source in a high performance high-end system is like running Bias-ply retread tires on a Ferrari; it’ll work, but it will hardly allow the Ferrari to do what it is capable of.[/size]

[size=small]Let the flaming begin.
icon10.gif
[/size]

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 130
No flaming here. I agree. I had long ago read and would agree through years of listening that the two biggest chances to make a difference in sound quality are the places where sound is converted: speaker/headphone and source (cartridge for vinyl back then, and some would say still now, but now I'm just dating myself!). Granted, the overall sound is only as strong as the weakest link, and I have heard a difference with each individual part, so you don't want to screw things up with horrible interconnects or amp etc ..., but still, in considering overall importance of the whole system, those two areas are still the most important, IMHO.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Why is it that many members skimp with regards to their sources? In what universe does it make sense to spend thousands of dollars on Headphones and an amp to drive them and then use a crappy source?[/size]

[size=small]I’ve got news for you; a used Sony Playstation is not a worthy source for a truly high-end headphone or speaker based system. I own one and it’s almost as good as my Oppo DV970HD that serves as my bedroom source. Neither is good enough to set foot in either my high-end speaker rig or my headphone rig. Either would be fine in a $300 to $800 system, but above that I’d seriously consider any number of players from NAD, Cambridge Audio or others.[/size]

[size=small]I actually believe that certain reviewers periodically decide to prank the audio community by starting rumors about and then reviewing certain cheap or long discontinued products. There was the Optimus CD-3400 back in the early 90’s. “Sam Tellig” [size=xx-small](sic)[/size] should have gotten a kickback from Radio Shack because his review in Stereophile had to have sold thousands of the little suckers. I know; I purchased one of them. It was a good sounding portable, but its performance was not even remotely close to that of my Denon DCD-1520. So I used it as a portable until it died after about a year. The same can be said of the Oppo DV970HD. It’s a great $160 player, but it doesn’t really compare with any number of quality players in the $300-$500 range. I purchased one on the strength of its reviews, and it is relegated to my bedroom system (To be honest I purchased it as my bedroom source, although I did try it in my big system). It was (I believe that it is now discontinued) an exceptional $160 player, but it was no giant killer.[/size]

[size=small]As far as the Playststion goes; any number of reviewers have drank the Cool Aid as far as it goes. It does little to offend and just as little to excite. If you are using one and you think that you’re using a high end source you are deluding yourself. [/size]

[size=small]Using a Playstation as the source in a high performance high-end system is like running Bias-ply retread tires on a Ferrari; it’ll work, but it will hardly allow the Ferrari to do what it is capable of.[/size]

[size=small]Let the flaming begin.
icon10.gif
[/size]

Great post!

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 130
Of course source is very important. Garbage in, garbage out.

Regarding the Ps3, I think that depends on the sound quality of the game itself, not the console. I could be wrong though. I don't think the gaming business is meant to please audiophiles.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 130
I agree for the most part. Although, I don't think the Oppo is just good at its price point. It is good well beyond its price point. But, that said, I upgraded to a Pioneer PD-91 from my Oppo and immediately I didn't hate digital anymore. It is astonishing the difference.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Regarding the Ps3, I think that depends on the sound quality of the game itself, not the console. I could be wrong though. I don't think the gaming business is meant to please audiophiles.

I suspect he was referring to using an original Playstation as a music source, in light of a recent Stereophile article in which the author stated how surprisingly good it sounded as a CD player.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 130
Quote:

Why is it that many members skimp with regards to their sources? In what universe does it make sense to spend thousands of dollars on Headphones and an amp to drive them and then use a crappy source?

These "members" seem oddly familiar... oh wait!

Oh, we must keep in mind that we're talking specifically about the SCPH-1001! If you don't have it, please don't say you've heard the Playstation referred by 6moons and Stereophile.

P.S. Sadly, the people who will disagree with the OP are not in the high-end forum
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your not paranoid, everyone is out to get you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 130
Quote:

Oh, we must keep in mind that we're talking specifically about the SCPH-1001! If you don't have it, please don't say you've heard the Playstation referred by 6moons and Stereophile.

P.S. Sadly, the people who will disagree with the OP are not in the high-end forum
frown.gif

It was not my intent to call out any individual.

yep, mine is the 1001. Too bad, it has bit the bird, otherwise I could sell it to some audiofool who believes in the Emperors new clothes.

Why Sadly?

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In a universe where price has little to do with the sound created by a product.
In your rant you've mentioned nothing about sound or music only dollars. In what specific sonic and musical ways does the Sony fail as a CD player for you?

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 130
Quote:

\

\
frown.gif

I have an old Playstation in my basement. How can I tell if it's this model? Is it printed on the bottom?

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an old Playstation in my basement. How can I tell if it's this model? Is it printed on the bottom?

It's most likely not the SCPH-1001 unless you bought it right when the Playstation came out. You can check by looking at the bottom on the sticker; it should say SCPH-XXXX.

Anyway, using the OP's example of stuff reviewers make up to make money, we can talk about the iMod! It's out of an iPod for crying out loud. Who fell for this profiteering trap by RWA? Is it considered shameful to admit you use an iMod these days? I have a diyMod lying around.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 130
This post has been a looong time coming ! It has been a very common trend around Head-Fi for a long time and has always puzzled me a little.

There are so many people here that seemingly want to shrug it off and dismiss it as wasted money. And these very people will try and convince themselves (and others) without taking the time to actually seek out a "Higher End" source and have a listen.

Just look at the number of posts....
Dedicated Source Components...152,455
Headphone Amps (full size)....386,639
Thats a pretty big difference !

So perhaps it was a bit of a jab at Powertoold in light of his posts in the HeAudio thread.... but I have to completely agree. Several others tried to tell him. (in perhaps a roundabout way)

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 130
Source matters only if you use analog outputs. PS2, Oppo, or $2000 Denon player, if connected digitally, should make no difference in sound quality.

That's how I designed my system. Put the money into good DACs once, in the prepro. Buy a reliable quality source and use it as a transport.

This works, of course, only for last generation media ... CD, DD 5.1 and DTS.

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source matters only if you use analog outputs. PS2, Oppo, or $2000 Denon player, if connected digitally, should make no difference in sound quality.

That's how I designed my system. Put the money into good DACs once, in the prepro. Buy a reliable quality source and use it as a transport.

This works, of course, only for last generation media ... CD, DD 5.1 and DTS.

Don't say that, you'll upset the jitter crowd!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back