People interested in filming ??
Dec 8, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 32
My brother is in Tisch at NYU, and from what I can gather, film is still the way to go for "professional" type projects and short films...in fact, he shot on film this summer. I wish I had more insight into this, but most of big bro's film-speak goes in one ear and out the other.
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #21 of 32
Digital video is making huge waves these days. Hell, look at "28 Days Later". The entire thing was shot with a Canon XL1. For the cost, you can't NOT take a look at miniDV and its bretheren formats (HD for example). HD is out of range for anyone not in a professional arena, but for joe shmoe, a little miniDV cam works great for home videos or even no budget horror flicks. (Such as the one I'm currently involved with... http://mptom.scapefilms.com)

Firewire, a minDV cam, and a piece of editing software.

All you need in life. :-D

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 32
Marios_Mar--

Alright, for a variety of reasons, I'd advise you NOT to go with 8mm/Super8 setup. There are very few labs who still offer 8mm services and the editing equipment is pretty much crap. As for sync sound with 8mm/super8mm, well, good luck!

If I were to start shooting a bunch of film nowadays, I'd prob. buy a nice little Bolex (you can buy crystal sync units to let you shoot sync sound, as well), some nice prime lenses and maybe even an Angenieux zoom lens.

After that, buy a 4 or 6 reel Steenbeck flatbed editing table and you're set to go.

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #23 of 32
what is a bolex? 16mm?

Well I dont want to make movies. I want to make sort of like contemporary short flicks, probably some surealism in the future. Somethings meaningful. Then I want to combine my shots with some great music.

Also I would like to visuallise some favorite music pieces...

In the end I will be using my miniDV for these projects but my miniDV is a painful story because Ive lent it and i might be getting on May.If im lucky on Xmas....

Oh well.

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #25 of 32
what is a bolex? 16mm?

Well I dont want to make movies. I want to make sort of like contemporary short flicks, probably some surealism in the future. Somethings meaningful. Then I want to combine my shots with some great music.

Also I would like to visuallise some favorite music pieces...

In the end I will be using my miniDV for these projects but my miniDV is a painful story because Ive lent it and i might be getting on May.If im lucky on Xmas....

Oh well.

How about if I sold my Canon miniDv (it would fetch around $350-400 ) and bought with that money a professional camera (hi8 probably) from the 90s. Would such a camera have better picture than my small canon camcorder? I think the NTSC equivalent of my canon is called canon ZR-30 or something in the US.

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #27 of 32
Marios_Mar--

A Bolex is a 16mm film camera manufactured by a Swiss company called Paillard Bolex. They made a variety of 8mm/super8mm/16mm film cameras but the model that everyone knows and most people covet is the H-16 Bolex 16mm film camera. It takes a wide variety of high quality prime lens types (Switars, Angenieux, Cooke, etc.) and yields an outstanding image that almost matches the image quality of larger, much more expensive Arriflex SRII/Aaton/Zeiss combinations.

The Bolex was originally a small, hand cranked camera that you could take almost anywhere and trust to operate reliably in even the worst conditions. With attachments, it loses some of its portability, but its still handier than any other 16mm camera. The Bolex and the much heavier Arri S were extremely popular among student and experimental filmmakers for decades.

The H-16 Bolex saw a bit of a resurgence in the 1990's because so many music video directors used the small Bolex to get a portable, high quality image that larger 16mm cameras wouldn't allow.

The Bolex now has a wide range of accessories, including crystal sync electric motors that let you shoot sync sound. Due to the small size of the Bolex, you can only fit 100 ft. rolls inside the internal magazine (about 3 mins.).

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #28 of 32
marios_mar, I use a Canon XL-1 NTSC. It's proven to be a pretty good camera. If you want to look at old stuff I've shot, I really dont have much. Something old you can dig up from the that first HeadRoom visit to Detroit can be found here. (warning! 13 meg file there!)

Please remember that the footage there is a couple years old, and I have improved greatly. I'll see if I have permission to release a scene or two that have been cut together so you can see some of the stuff I've been doing lately.

Dec 9, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #29 of 32
I second the Bolex idea. Mario_mars, you should really spend some time on ebay getting an idea of used equipment prices.Maybe that's the best way to make your decision.

Quote:

My brother is in Tisch at NYU, and from what I can gather, film is still the way to go for "professional" type projects and short films...in fact, he shot on film this summer.

I believe if you really want to go into the film industry (why? Why? WHY?. Nevermind... a long story) that you should have experience with film stock (because you'll probably. like me, spend your first year in Hollywood driving cans of it to the developing lab and part of your "big break"). But, frankly, these schools have an investment in equipment and if they don't push the advantages of using "real film" as a selling point to making you pay your tutition under the promise of making you the next Spielberg, then what are they offering their students over the 10 million other kids with digicams, a stack of classic films on DVD and a copy of "Filmmaking Basics"? Answer -- nuthin'. Look I went to USC and film school is fun. But it's just like any other college. It's a sheepskin. Yep, you can get a job as a PA with no problem if you can drop the words "I went to USC" "I went to NYC". But, honestly, that's all that you're really buying with your money. If I had to go it again, I would have skipped USC and just moved to LA and started as PA on some small film. It's easy to do. Everybody out there is in someway working or aspiring to get into the industry. Make some friends and somebody will turn you on to a production assistant job. The one other advantage of film school are the friends and contacts who will turn you onto jobs and internships. And believe me, Hollywood loves free labor - especially college students who can write a decent "book report" about the scripts they'll pile on you. Nobody want to read any more of those g*ddamn filmscripts after their first year there. They're like cockaroaches. You can't get rid of them. What you make from it, once you get in the door as free labour is up to you. (I'll emphasis "free". You need a big nest egg or well-off parents behind you if you're going out there). Frankly, the best film classes I ever had were as an undergraduate Lehigh University as part of my English degree. Two smart, enthusiastic English profs who blew away most of my jaded teachers at USC. So don't feel bad if you aren't going to NYC, USC or wherever. You can get a good film education at any university or community college with the right prof. Then head out the Los Angeles...

But don't say I didn't warn you.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #30 of 32
well thanks for the advice but i dont live in the US. I dont wont to become a professional either. I just want to shoot short clips that will visualise some feelings thoughts and will touch stright in the heart. And all that hosted in a film aesthetic.

Yet Id like to make a movie of some kind but I dont know exactly how to. Maybe I should start another thread cause this is a different topic. I actually will in 5 mins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back