Penon IMPACT - TOTL Flagship In-ear Monitor Impressions & Reviews
May 28, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #16 of 19
I just auditioned this today. And maybe it is just me but the bass sounds non-existent....
oh shoot that's scary to hear. maybe you can list the track and timestamp here and someone else with their own unit can check to confirm? was it lacking mid-bass or sub-bass? everyone else was saying the bass was very good for BA and it pushes air, but if it's sub-bass below a certain frequency, it's possible their tracks don't go that low.

edit: i just checked the 1st review of the Penon Impact on head-fi wrote the following:
This is a very good BA bass. Fast well defined and has some bass impact. What it does not have is a solid sub-bass rumble. The bass is good for most music but falls short for Bass-heads.
I would guess this might mean if HBB plays his sub-bass test track, he might not hear the rumble? Much appreciated if anyone owning the Impact can confirm. I do hope it's clearly audible and that was just a complaint for hardcore bass-heads.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 19
oh shoot that's scary to hear. maybe you can list the track and timestamp here and someone else with their own unit can check to confirm? was it lacking mid-bass or sub-bass? everyone else was saying the bass was very good for BA and it pushes air, but if it's sub-bass below a certain frequency, it's possible their tracks don't go that low.

edit: i just checked the 1st review of the Penon Impact on head-fi wrote the following:

I would guess this might mean if HBB plays his sub-bass test track, he might not hear the rumble? Much appreciated if anyone owning the Impact can confirm. I do hope it's clearly audible and that was just a complaint for hardcore bass-heads.
You missed my point. It has good mid-bass & bass but like most BA iems it can't do sub-bass like DD drivers do. There is no way Impact can compete with Empire Ears Evo in the sub-bass department. So if your main music is something like EDM, Impact is not for you. Impact handles Jazz Blues Country & most Classic Rock perfectly that is its strength.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #18 of 19

It wasn't an official audition I merely tested out a friend's unit with some of my familiar tracks. And I am not a bass head since I was comparing to my U12T.

May 29, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 19
You missed my point. It has good mid-bass & bass but like most BA iems it can't do sub-bass like DD dives do. There is no way Impact can compete with Empire Ears Evo in the sub-bass department. So if your main music is something like EDM, Impact is not for you. Impact handles Jazz Blues Country & must Classic Rock perfectly that is its strength.
Thanks for the clarification!

I don't own/listen to HBB's test track, but for anyone who has the Penon Impact on hand, I found HBB's sub-bass test track on YouTube and it works for testing:
(33 seconds in "Big Boi - Kill Jill (Audio) ft. Killer Mike, Jeezy")

If someone can check at timestamp 33 seconds if the sub-bass is...
(1) clearly rumbling/pushing air in your ears
(2) audible. you can tell it's "supposed" to rumble. it's fine because you can hear it clearly (though not "feel" it)
(3) barely audible (aka you're not sure if it's supposed to even be sub-bass rumble, or some artifact noises are behind the track buzzing weakly)
(4) You don't notice any sub-bass drop at all, or wouldn't have if you hadn't been made aware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back