Penguin dulux amp -> batteries question
Nov 18, 2006 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

taran

100+ Head-Fier
this could just be a general question but i ordered a penguin amp and its going to be here soon.

i dont know if it comes with a battery so i just wanted to know whats the score with amps and batteries.

the penguin amp uses a 9V battery.

my questions are -

can i use any 9V battery?
can the amp be harmed with certain 9V batteries?
does the type of 9V battery affect performance of the amp?
can i use rechargable batteries?

any other info on batteries and which ones to get would be helpful.

in the the uk btw.

thanks

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i use any 9V battery?
can the amp be harmed with certain 9V batteries?
does the type of 9V battery affect performance of the amp?
can i use rechargable batteries?

any other info on batteries and which ones to get would be helpful.

in the the uk btw.

thanks

1) Probably but Duracells tend to last longer for Alkalines

2) Doubt it unless it is a really weird battery see 3

3) Probably not but some nominal 9V rechargeables are really as low as 7.2V some can be as high as 9.6V, depends on the chip some chips have very specific voltage limits.

4) Almost certainly - see 3

Best to ask the builder as he/she will know the requirements of their design better.

I use bog-standard cheapo rechargeables for my 9V amps with a cheapo charger from eBay they are 200mah (milliamp-hours) and work fine with my TDA2822 and LM6171 based amps.

You mean Deluxe not Dulux ? - that was the paint with the old english sheepdog

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html is about the reqirements and capabilities of different opamps in headphone amps and there is a section about the National Semiconductor LM6171 which is the chip used in the "Deluxe", course it is all greek to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Headphone-Amplif...QQcmdZViewItem

Has more details about the amp and batteries and such...

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 6
If you are in the US, you might as well get those 1.2a ultralife lithium batteries. Double the capcity of a duracell and only $5 each compared to $18 in the UK.

You would have to buy about 6 or more to come close to good rechargeables+charger.

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 6
1) Yes you can use any 9V battery
2) Not really as long as the voltage stays below 10V
3) May, some 9V give more current than others which may affect the performance of the Op-Amp depending on how much it draws.
4) Yes you may use rechargable batteries, however, if the amp contains a built in chargin circuit then you should be careful with what batteries you charge in it.

Hopefully these answer some of your questions, and have fun with your amp.

P.S. Sorry about your wallet! :p

Nov 19, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 6
well this thread makes me sound stupid.

it was a typo erorrrr (another one). i did mean duluxe and not the paint tins of dulux
600smile.gif

another quick question about power and sound.

i can hook this amp up to the mains and just use it like that. would giving the power this way to the amp affect the amps sound or will it sound just the same as using batteries.

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, cant wait. hopefully its going to come tommorow. i have my music lined up to listen to. i really wana hear what the fuss is about with amps.

before i got into headphones i always thought amps were only for home theatre setups and cars so im definately looking forward to how they can make my shure e4's and hd595's shine even more than they do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back