Penguin Caffeine Amp Dropped
Sep 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bryguy27007

100+ Head-Fier
I dropped my Penguin Caffeine Amp and the power switch got pushed in so maybe 1/3-1/2 of what was originally showing is now. It moves a little but doesn't toggle anything. I hooked up a battery to it and the power light lit up but no noise came through, just static. After a few seconds I smelled burning/melted solder and felt heat. I ripped the battery out and haven't tried since. I tried taking the case off but I can't seem to get it off. Looking at the components it seems like one of three connectors (middle) pushed completely through and the other two are most of the way there but still covered in solder.

I will get pictures up as soon as I can.
Is there anything I can do?

Edit: Wrong section, I meant to put this in portable.
Could it please get moved there?

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 3
post pictures in the DIY section and ask for help there. details are important if you want help.

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryguy27007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dropped my Penguin Caffeine Amp and the power switch got pushed in so maybe 1/3-1/2 of what was originally showing is now. It moves a little but doesn't toggle anything. I hooked up a battery to it and the power light lit up but no noise came through, just static. After a few seconds I smelled burning/melted solder and felt heat. I ripped the battery out and haven't tried since. I tried taking the case off but I can't seem to get it off. Looking at the components it seems like one of three connectors (middle) pushed completely through and the other two are most of the way there but still covered in solder.

I will get pictures up as soon as I can.
Is there anything I can do?

Edit: Wrong section, I meant to put this in portable.
Could it please get moved there?

the switch broke and is shorting V+ to V-. Which is why when you draw loads of current (due to short) things heat up.

Suggestion is to replace the entire switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back