Pengiune Caffeine (or pa2v2)..To amp or not to amp
Feb 24, 2008 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tapiozona

100+ Head-Fier
New to the whole headphone/amp scene and I was wondering if I even really need one. I have a pair of Denon 1001 and Equation Audio RP-21 cans and use them only at work through my pc. I never considered getting an amp until recently and I know I don't want to invest too much into one if I do make the jump.

Will I notice any major gains in quality using the amp in question with my cans or would I be better off just saving my money and not having an amp at all? If it only makes things louder then I dont really see the need as my pc seems to be capable of reaching volume levels I'm quite happy with (though thats borderline with the Denon's). Im really hoping to use it for the first time (after breaking the amp in) and finding myself wow'd with the better quality but I also know that you get what you pay for and for $50 I realistically can't expect too much. Also I know my can's aren't the best in the world so would it be their relative quality that would limit my need for an amp?

Also, what about the PA2V2's instead of the Pengiun caffeine? Would that be a better purchase?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 3
I really like the penguin amps and have found it to be a very nice improvement over the stock amplification in my ipods. While I originally got it to power a pair of high impedance headphones I was trying, I quickly found that I was using it to power my MS-1's (32ohms) and my DT770 pro 80 ohm. I really dont listen without it anymore. Note, I do use a line out to get to the unit and have thereby eliminated the stock ipod amplification; this would not be done running a mini-to-mini from your computer, however a simple USB DAC cable would do the trick; I think they are available at relatively inexpensive prices...
best of luck,
hiccamer

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the advice.
As it stands now it looks like the Caffeine Ultra, which seems to be the model of choice from their products, is out of stock until March 10th at the earliest. I can get a regular Caffeine on ebay or a PA2v2. Trying to decide which one of the two to buy though im leaning towards the pa2v2 unless a Caffeine ultra becomes available on the forums here or elsewhere online sooner.

I'm surprised that no one has done a comparison review of the Caffeine/Ultra/Pa2v2 as of yet. They seem to be popular DIY brands and the main ones that sell on ebay. (did find other comparisons of similar amps but didnt include the pa2v2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back