Pendulumic Tach T1 vs Beoplay H8
Mar 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

smileyboy

New Head-Fier

This is my review of the Beoplay H8 and the Pendulumic Tach T1 on ear headphones 
First a little bit of history about myself and the headphones. 
I'm a techie and always looking for the next new thing to try whether it's a new Fatbike or a new pair of headphones. I've had Shure headphones, Sonys, B&Ws. Plantronics, Bose and Grados. 

I picked up the H8s by accident.  I happened to be in a pawn shop looking for tools and ran across a pair. They wanted $80 for them because they couldn't get them to work. I took them home and stuck them on a charger and they work great. Still under warranty from Beoplay too. They are in near perfect condition. I just hate the color...

As for the Tach T1s. I picked these up new.  I ordered from the website on a Sunday and had to make a few calls Monday and Tuesday before the item shipped out. I had it by Friday evening in Denver, CO.  

H8
The H8s are built so well. They weigh 255 grams. Very little plastic, some aluminum and sheep skin. The design is very well executed. The lack of buttons takes a little bit of getting use to. Not having any buttons except for the on/off Bluetooth switch is kind of cool.  However, anything can activate the touch controls. For an example, I took the headphones off my head and put them around my neck, my sweater was touching the controls and the music started to play.... That's annoying especially if I was listening to an audiobook, podcast or a new album. 

Putting the H8 headphones on feels very good. There is no clicking when adjusting the band on my head. It slides very smoothly and quietly. I didn't even know how inferior other headphone bands were or that this was even a thing until I used these. It reminds me of how Apple implements features and it becomes a must have/use.. They told me that I needed it and now I do. 

Tach T1 
These headphones are mostly plastic and some leather (I think.... I couldn't confirm it from Pendulumic) . They are light at 245 grams. They don't feel cheap, but next to the H8s the Contruction isn't as solid. The T1s fold and can get very compact. The headband is the standard ratcheting band. It's ok. I do wish that the headphones felt tighter once adjusted and put on my head. Moving around, like bending over to pick something up will make them start to slide off.
The Tach T1 has the same one button design that the Stance S1+ has, it controls everything except turning the headphone on. I love that feature. No funky touch controls to master. I wish the button/knob was metal.

After using the H8s, I don't like that the wires stick out of the side of the Tach T1. It just looks odd and unfinished. 

In the constuction and build category the nod would go to the H8.  
I do realize I'm comparing the H8 a $500 headphone to the $249 Tach T1. 

Sound and Use

H8

After I charged the H8 for 4 hours I decided to give them a try. Pairing them with my iPhone 6S was not a problem.  I did have to find the instructions online, since my past experience of entering pairing mode with these headphones didn’t seem to work.  
Once paired to my iPhone, I noticed that the H8s even had a battery indicator in the top right corner of the iPhone. The controls worked better than I thought they would. I was easily able to adjust the volume, answer calls, switch tracks, and turn the noise canceling on and off.   

I listen to a variety of music, I made a mix of Anna Meredith, Yo-yo Ma, Adele, Mariza and w Hiphop songs. The H8s seem to have quite a bit of bass. Which isn't a bad thing. But, the music didn't sound natural to me, it sounded good but artificially piped in. I would maintain that observation over all the various types of music. I performed my test using Bluetooth as most of my listening will be without a 3.5mm cable.  
I had about an hour of music loaded on my 6S. I put my iPhone on the dock and went to the basement of my 1500sq foot home to wash some clothes. The laundry room is about 15-20 feet away.  The Bluetooth started dropping out as soon as I got 5ft away, at one point it totally lost the signal.  I tried serval times, unsuccessfully, to reestablish to Bluetooth connection. I had to move closer to my iPhone. I got within 10ft on the same level that was my phone was on and I had to press the on/off Bluetooth button to get it to work.   I'm use to most Bluetooth headphones reconnecting automatically after they get in range. Not with these, they required fiddling.  That's a deal breaker IHMO.  I scoured the internets and noticed that the major flaw with these $500 Bluetooth headphone.... Was the Bluetooth....  What the heck?

So to sum up the H8s if you keep your phone in your pocket, the headphones sound great and fit well.  Just don't let your phone get outside of 5ft otherwise the Bluetooth stops working..

Tach T1

As soon as I got the Tach T1s in, I pulled them out of the box, turned them on ( they come ready to be paired from the factory) and they paired with my iPhone 6S.  Pairing was easy.  These did not display a battery indicator on my iPhone.  I really like that feature to keep and eye on the battery life of my headphones.  I wonder if Pendalumic would be able to do a software update to these? 
I used the same playlist and put the headphones through their paces.  I love the sound. The detail is amazing yet they sound neutral. I could hear all the Portuguese shushing from Mariza's songs.  I loved it.  I believe another member described it well.  The Tach T1’s seem to have just a bit more bass than the Stance S1+ an sound about the same.  

Skipping tracks, changing the volume worked just fine with the single trademarked button on the Pendulumic headphones. I briefly tried using the included 3,5mm cable with a call answer button. It worked fine. However I did order a cable from Amazon that also includes the volume buttons and it works just fine with the Tach T1s. I would have preferred to use the knob that's on the side of the headphone... But this becomes completely useless once the Bluetooth is turned off. 

I wonder if a software update can change the volume button to workmen when there is ) battery power being provided to the headphone and add a battery indicator on the iPhone.  

I’m writing this review in a coffee shop.  Listening to the Tach T1’s.  I was very surprised at how well the headphones block out sound.  I can still hear the barrista walking across the floor with her boots on. But, its not intrusive.  It’s almost as if just enough noise gets through the headphones to let you know there’s stuff going on around you.    I don’t mind it.  

I haven’t tried the music sharing feature these headphones come with, mostly because I only have the one pair.  I’m not sure how these will perform on an airplane.  But that’s where I would imagine this feature would really shine. I wonder if it will work with other bluetooth headphones?  I’ll give it a shot and report back.  I don't like the location of the button.  I keep bumping it when I take the headphones on or off. When I bump the button, it gets activated and starts looking for another headphone.

Overall, I’m impressed with the Tach T1’s.  I put them on when I’m doing work at my computer or walking around the house and I forget that they are on. They are comfortable enough, light enough and the fit is almost perfect.  I feel that the T1+ version… if they decide to make one, I think it will be perfect!.  Nice job.

UPDATE:   I heard from Daniel at Pendulumic, the headphones have protein leather (not real leather)  They do make my ears a little sweaty 
basshead.gif
  vs the H8's.  Pendulumic did inform me that a software update can be performed via the usb port.  No news as to if/when that will happen.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Nice, thanks for sharing.
Would you mind posting a link to your comparison on my thread (see signature)?

You should anyway edit thread and title, the name of the Company is Pendulumic :)

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Awesome review! How does the Tach compare in wired and wireless mode? Wirecutter said the Stance was a real fail at this?
Also, can you talk on the phone in BOTH wired and wireless mode? I would be getting something like this for music but also for business calls...
Thanks much @smileyboy

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 8

This is my review of the Beoplay H8 and the Pendulumic Tach T1 on ear headphones 
First a little bit of history about myself and the headphones. 
I'm a techie and always looking for the next new thing to try whether it's a new Fatbike or a new pair of headphones. I've had Shure headphones, Sonys, B&Ws. Plantronics, Bose and Grados. 

I picked up the H8s by accident.  I happened to be in a pawn shop looking for tools and ran across a pair. They wanted $80 for them because they couldn't get them to work. I took them home and stuck them on a charger and they work great. Still under warranty from Beoplay too. They are in near perfect condition. I just hate the color...

As for the Tach T1s. I picked these up new.  I ordered from the website on a Sunday and had to make a few calls Monday and Tuesday before the item shipped out. I had it by Friday evening in Denver, CO.  

H8
The H8s are built so well. They weigh 255 grams. Very little plastic, some aluminum and sheep skin. The design is very well executed. The lack of buttons takes a little bit of getting use to. Not having any buttons except for the on/off Bluetooth switch is kind of cool.  However, anything can activate the touch controls. For an example, I took the headphones off my head and put them around my neck, my sweater was touching the controls and the music started to play.... That's annoying especially if I was listening to an audiobook, podcast or a new album. 

Putting the H8 headphones on feels very good. There is no clicking when adjusting the band on my head. It slides very smoothly and quietly. I didn't even know how inferior other headphone bands were or that this was even a thing until I used these. It reminds me of how Apple implements features and it becomes a must have/use.. They told me that I needed it and now I do. 

Tach T1 
These headphones are mostly plastic and some leather (I think.... I couldn't confirm it from Pendulumic) . They are light at 245 grams. They don't feel cheap, but next to the H8s the Contruction isn't as solid. The T1s fold and can get very compact. The headband is the standard ratcheting band. It's ok. I do wish that the headphones felt tighter once adjusted and put on my head. Moving around, like bending over to pick something up will make them start to slide off.
The Tach T1 has the same one button design that the Stance S1+ has, it controls everything except turning the headphone on. I love that feature. No funky touch controls to master. I wish the button/knob was metal.

After using the H8s, I don't like that the wires stick out of the side of the Tach T1. It just looks odd and unfinished. 

In the constuction and build category the nod would go to the H8.  
I do realize I'm comparing the H8 a $500 headphone to the $249 Tach T1. 

Sound and Use

H8

After I charged the H8 for 4 hours I decided to give them a try. Pairing them with my iPhone 6S was not a problem.  I did have to find the instructions online, since my past experience of entering pairing mode with these headphones didn’t seem to work.  
Once paired to my iPhone, I noticed that the H8s even had a battery indicator in the top right corner of the iPhone. The controls worked better than I thought they would. I was easily able to adjust the volume, answer calls, switch tracks, and turn the noise canceling on and off.   

I listen to a variety of music, I made a mix of Anna Meredith, Yo-yo Ma, Adele, Mariza and w Hiphop songs. The H8s seem to have quite a bit of bass. Which isn't a bad thing. But, the music didn't sound natural to me, it sounded good but artificially piped in. I would maintain that observation over all the various types of music. I performed my test using Bluetooth as most of my listening will be without a 3.5mm cable.  
I had about an hour of music loaded on my 6S. I put my iPhone on the dock and went to the basement of my 1500sq foot home to wash some clothes. The laundry room is about 15-20 feet away.  The Bluetooth started dropping out as soon as I got 5ft away, at one point it totally lost the signal.  I tried serval times, unsuccessfully, to reestablish to Bluetooth connection. I had to move closer to my iPhone. I got within 10ft on the same level that was my phone was on and I had to press the on/off Bluetooth button to get it to work.   I'm use to most Bluetooth headphones reconnecting automatically after they get in range. Not with these, they required fiddling.  That's a deal breaker IHMO.  I scoured the internets and noticed that the major flaw with these $500 Bluetooth headphone.... Was the Bluetooth....  What the heck?

So to sum up the H8s if you keep your phone in your pocket, the headphones sound great and fit well.  Just don't let your phone get outside of 5ft otherwise the Bluetooth stops working..

Tach T1

As soon as I got the Tach T1s in, I pulled them out of the box, turned them on ( they come ready to be paired from the factory) and they paired with my iPhone 6S.  Pairing was easy.  These did not display a battery indicator on my iPhone.  I really like that feature to keep and eye on the battery life of my headphones.  I wonder if Pendalumic would be able to do a software update to these? 
I used the same playlist and put the headphones through their paces.  I love the sound. The detail is amazing yet they sound neutral. I could hear all the Portuguese shushing from Mariza's songs.  I loved it.  I believe another member described it well.  The Tach T1’s seem to have just a bit more bass than the Stance S1+ an sound about the same.  

Skipping tracks, changing the volume worked just fine with the single trademarked button on the Pendulumic headphones. I briefly tried using the included 3,5mm cable with a call answer button. It worked fine. However I did order a cable from Amazon that also includes the volume buttons and it works just fine with the Tach T1s. I would have preferred to use the knob that's on the side of the headphone... But this becomes completely useless once the Bluetooth is turned off. 

I wonder if a software update can change the volume button to workmen when there is ) battery power being provided to the headphone and add a battery indicator on the iPhone.  

I’m writing this review in a coffee shop.  Listening to the Tach T1’s.  I was very surprised at how well the headphones block out sound.  I can still hear the barrista walking across the floor with her boots on. But, its not intrusive.  It’s almost as if just enough noise gets through the headphones to let you know there’s stuff going on around you.    I don’t mind it.  

I haven’t tried the music sharing feature these headphones come with, mostly because I only have the one pair.  I’m not sure how these will perform on an airplane.  But that’s where I would imagine this feature would really shine. I wonder if it will work with other bluetooth headphones?  I’ll give it a shot and report back.  I don't like the location of the button.  I keep bumping it when I take the headphones on or off. When I bump the button, it gets activated and starts looking for another headphone.

Overall, I’m impressed with the Tach T1’s.  I put them on when I’m doing work at my computer or walking around the house and I forget that they are on. They are comfortable enough, light enough and the fit is almost perfect.  I feel that the T1+ version… if they decide to make one, I think it will be perfect!.  Nice job.

UPDATE:   I heard from Daniel at Pendulumic, the headphones have protein leather (not real leather)  They do make my ears a little sweaty 
basshead.gif
  vs the H8's.  Pendulumic did inform me that a software update can be performed via the usb port.  No news as to if/when that will happen.

. On ...wonder if it will work with other bluetooth headphones? 
T1 sharing capability - share music between two T1s only ...not sharing with other brands blue-tooth headphones 

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 8
  . On ...wonder if it will work with other bluetooth headphones? 
T1 sharing capability - share music between two T1s only ...not sharing with other brands blue-tooth headphones 

I'll tell you tomorrow. Hopefully :)

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Any update on the Tach?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back