Pearl Jam- Backspacer
Sep 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
Upfront disclosure: I am a Pearl Jam Fan...

Picked this up early this morning and have given it a couple listens. So far I'm liking it quite a bit.

It rocks pretty hard for the first four tunes with "got some" being my favorite so far. The first four sound a lot like very early Pearl Jam, specifically "state of love and trust".

"just breathe" sounds like a left over from the "in to the wild" soundtrack

The remainder sounds like a quick trip through their career with "amongst the waves" sounding a bit like an updated "elderly woman behind the counter"

Anybody else heard it yet?

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About time there was a thread for this. I havent heard it yet, hoping to pick it up asap. Hows the SQ?

I have not really had a chance to listen on anything but my ipod yet. It does seem to be a bit hot but not totally compressed like some Cd's i've heard lately.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Saw them in the Target commercial on TV last night, kind of a let down, though the song sounded OK. A bit surprised to see it.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw them in the Target commercial on TV last night, kind of a let down, though the song sounded OK. A bit surprised to see it.

There's a cool story about the video.

And I REALLY wanted to get this when I heard about it...how it was supposed to be like their old stuff...but I just sampled it on iTunes, and I think I'll pass.

I don't need stadium guitar work like Alive and Evenflow anymore, but some originality would be nice.

I miss the days of Vs. and Vitalogy.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 10
if you are looking for an album that Backspacer most directly compares to it would probably be Yield.

It doesn't have the epics of ten or the oddities of binaural.

I dont think it's their best album (my favorite is VS) but I would say it's in the upper third .

Tighter songs and an almost punk feel (at least on the first half)

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 10
I am very impressed, and I say this as a mild fan. I have most of their stuff but do not listen to it regularly. I liked their last album too, but this is better. Starts out high tempo but the mid tempo stuff owns the album. I buy a lot of music and of the new released stuff I have bought in the last couple months this ranks at the top.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I bought it, waiting now. (online). I really liked the Into the Wild Soundtrack, and really think that eddie vedder was born to sing bluesy folky music and not this hardrock stuff. but he sounds great almost all the time, so what eva.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back