Peachtree Nova or buy a separate DAC?
Jan 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Geruvah

100+ Head-Fier

Setup: Mac Pro Digital Out -> Keces DA-131 -> Cayin HA-1A -> Senns HD650/Swan t200b.

Looking to upgrade something here and it may be the DAC. The t200b has their own internal amp that can accept XLR and RCA inputs.

One thing I was looking at was the Nova. I don't know if it will sound better than my setup, because if it is, I'll definitely rid the HA-1A. Guess that'll come if I audition it. But I do like how it can do speakers and what looks like a subwoofer.

I just wanted to know what else is out there. It may be worth just not trying to integrate things and get a dedicated component like the DACMagic and connect it to the speaker's internal amp and the ha-1a. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 8
The Peachtree Nova is an excellent all in one unit.  When I heard it, the internal DAC sounded better than the Dacmagic, more detailed, more bass control and better transients.  The built in headpamp was maybe on par with headamps up to about 500 dollars.

I also own the Cayin headamp...no other amp that I have ever owned in my collection or heard in auditioning can drive the HD650 like the Cayin.  I'll probably never ever sell the Cayin as the SET setting sounds wonderful and the LCD2s sound very nice as well.  Its amongst the 2 best headamps I have ever heard.

I'd rather go with the Dacmagic route...to preserve the HA1A synergy with HD650 (and every other can that isn't extremely sensitive).  I've racked up so many hours with the Cayin HD650 combo and this setup was my reference for a long time, never superseded until I bought a pair of LCD2s...and that was run off the Cayin.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 8

That's great to hear. It's hard to find someone who uses the Cayin. If I get the DACMagic, I'll have to find something to maybe add a subwoofer. That won't be until the far future, we'll see how it sounds first. I heard the DAC in the Nova was definitely a strong one. I think Stereophile put it as the DAC would be there with the 1000 dollar ones.

Quote:
The Peachtree Nova is an excellent all in one unit.  When I heard it, the internal DAC sounded better than the Dacmagic, more detailed, more bass control and better transients.  The built in headpamp was maybe on par with headamps up to about 500 dollars.

I also own the Cayin headamp...no other amp that I have ever owned in my collection or heard in auditioning can drive the HD650 like the Cayin.  I'll probably never ever sell the Cayin as the SET setting sounds wonderful and the LCD2s sound very nice as well.  Its amongst the 2 best headamps I have ever heard.

I'd rather go with the Dacmagic route...to preserve the HA1A synergy with HD650 (and every other can that isn't extremely sensitive).  I've racked up so many hours with the Cayin HD650 combo and this setup was my reference for a long time, never superseded until I bought a pair of LCD2s...and that was run off the Cayin.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 8
I preferred the Nova's DAC over the well acclaimed Electrocompaniet ECD-1, but it's been a while since I had them so I don't remember much of either DAC. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 8
To offer an opinion contrary to what has already been put down, I found the Peachtree Nova to be terrible, especially when compared to other products in the same price range. Hooked up to speakers similar to what I have at home, the Nova just sounded... bad, it sounded more like what would come out of a boombox than a real piece of audio equipment. I was worried that it was damaged, especially after reading such a glowing review in Stereophile, but the salesman insisted it was fine.

I instead picked up a Bryston B60 SST with the DA option (providing an identical feature set to the Peachtree: DAC, preamp, power amp and headphone out) for only $600 more. It was no comparison, the Peachtree was a toy compared to real audio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back