Peachtree DAC IT vs Schiit Bifrost
Jan 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

polska9

Head-Fier
This DAC will go with my Schiit Lyr and Sennheiser 650's.

Any help would be appreciated? 

I know that the Peachtree is highly acclaimed from reviews and from what I have read the Schiit seems to be fair but not outstanding.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 19
I have not heard the Bifrost, but the Peacetree DAC*IT was very similar to the Yulong D100 - great dynamics, but a little harsh.  Both improved considerable with a good usb-spdif connector, such as the MDHT USBridge.

FWIW, I would go with the Bifrost WITHOUT the usb, and then add a decent usb-spdif connector. That way, you could upgrade/change the usb-spdif connector.  Most of these mid-priced units that include the usb-spdif do a fairly poor job, and then you're paying for something you don't need when you upgrade that part.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 19
I was wondering how the DACiT compares to the Nuforce uDAC, as they employ the same Sabre 9022 chip. The DAC chip alone obviously won't determine whether something sounds the same or not, and am sure that the implementation between the two would be quite different, but just curious on what the similarities and differences are.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 19
I think they're in really different categories.  The chip itself is really a small part of the equation, overall.  Compare the hiface vs the JK modded one. My guess is that the DAC*IT would throw a much bigger soundstage, and probably have slightly better bottom end and nuance through the mids, but this is simply a guess based on my experience of different gears in different price ranges.  Probably both be a bit on the thin/sharp rather than thick/smooth side of things. Of course, it also depends heavily on your headphones - on lower end models, a lot of differences won't even be noticable.  

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 19
I found a Peachtree dealer locally and the have a great price on the DAC It. I am unsure which to get still but I think I will ultiamtely go for the Bifrost as it seems to have good reviews, is fully upgradable, has an awesome warranty and has a good return policy.

I will keep it people posted.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 19
Really random,.......I own a DAC*IT.  Right now it is only running rca cables to a Denon receiver that is powering some energy rc-micro speakers.  Can't comment on the sound really as i don't have an audiophile headphone or speakers yet. I will subscribe to this thread and leave impressions shortly once i get my lcd-2's or my B&W cm9's or Martin Logans (can't make up my mind yet.)  This is my first dac so i won't be able to compare but i do believe i will be able to describe what it has helped.  I will say that my Astro 40's and the speakers opened up in soundstage greatly and instrument separation has improved greatly.  The little dynamics that my speakers have has improved too but more so on my headphones.  Bass has tightened up on my headphones from complete dryfire of a nerf gun to a tighter bass (electronic bass.)  I really don't want to get to far into it because my gear really bottlenecks the dac by far.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 19

Slightly OT, but depending on the ML you're considering I'm pretty sure they'll be a cut above the CM9s. I was pretty underwhelmed by them when demoing B&W stuff.

Quote:
Really random,.......I own a DAC*IT.  Right now it is only running rca cables to a Denon receiver that is powering some energy rc-micro speakers.  Can't comment on the sound really as i don't have an audiophile headphone or speakers yet. I will subscribe to this thread and leave impressions shortly once i get my lcd-2's or my B&W cm9's or Martin Logans (can't make up my mind yet.)  This is my first dac so i won't be able to compare but i do believe i will be able to describe what it has helped.  I will say that my Astro 40's and the speakers opened up in soundstage greatly and instrument separation has improved greatly.  The little dynamics that my speakers have has improved too but more so on my headphones.  Bass has tightened up on my headphones from complete dryfire of a nerf gun to a tighter bass (electronic bass.)  I really don't want to get to far into it because my gear really bottlenecks the dac by far.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 19
Probably just the esl model. I really think that the speaker shop in buffalo i went to is trying some trickery. I have read great reviews of some of the other speakers in the cm9 range such as the KEF's and the Paradigms. For some reason they sounded like complete crap. I knew better but didn't expect them to do anything other than give me the run around. When they took me over to the cm9's i was blown away. The imaging and soundstage were amazing but the two things that blew me away were the ridiculously rich mids and how the bass was not only tighter than....probably shouldn't post that but the bass also extended out a good 15 feet and hit me in the face without loosing any body. I like this analogy i gave the bass on the cm9 compared to lets say the kef's. Kefs were like dry firing a nerf gun where all you get is the woof as the bass on the cm9's was like a laser gun from star wars charging up and then shooting straight through you. While i did like the cm9's quite a bit, i couldn't help but feel there was something wrong with them. They were very dynamic and able to handle everything i threw at them. Pretty detailed for something that rich too. Then i realized what it was and i found a review of a marantz cd player that explained it perfectly. http://www.amazon.com/review/R2AUL4YBL42DF8/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005JK64EC&nodeID=172282&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful
After reading this i called up the speaker shop and asked what the cm9's were connected to.  They told me a marantz receiver with a marantz cd player.  So now i am thinking it was the cd player.
I am going to be taking the 2 hour drive here again in a couple weeks and plan on demoing the martin logans at the magnolia best buy.  Hopefully the setup will be good enough for me appreciate the speakers and get a good understanding of them.  

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 19
I also just sent a request for pick up of the dac it.  Because of my ignorance of the topic, i couldn't help but think that balanced xlr would give me twice the music, therefore making the sound more rich.  After doing some more research today, i found that balanced only helps reduce noise through long lengths of cable and the other upside to balance xlr is running to a true differential amplifier which is nothing more than two seperate amps in one enclosure powering one speaker.  Now i'm not so sure i am willing to go balanced xlr because the only receivers or pre-amplifiers that also have hdmi connections are crazy expensive and then you still have to buy the amps if you go pre.  I do not planning on relying on a receiver to power my speakers as i see that being the biggest downfall to most peoples systems. Next to source of course.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 19
What were the KEF and Paradigms hooked up to?

Ugh...Magnolia...They only seem to have Marantz surround sound gear to demo the stuff. I love Marantz gear, but not having 2 channel stuff to demo speakers is ridiculous.

I honestly liked the 600 series more than the CM series when I demoed them at Magnolia. I thought the imaging on the CM stuff was off and the 600 series seemed to have more weight to their sound.

I ended up with the MMGs and I'm really glad I went that way. Cheaper and better than any of the B&W stuff I listened to 600 or CM...

I'll be comparing the ESL and 1.7s later this year and probably upgrading to whichever one I like more. At roughly 2 grand for either one I think that'll be my last speaker for awhile.

Quote:
Probably just the esl model. I really think that the speaker shop in buffalo i went to is trying some trickery. I have read great reviews of some of the other speakers in the cm9 range such as the KEF's and the Paradigms. For some reason they sounded like complete crap. I knew better but didn't expect them to do anything other than give me the run around. When they took me over to the cm9's i was blown away. The imaging and soundstage were amazing but the two things that blew me away were the ridiculously rich mids and how the bass was not only tighter than....probably shouldn't post that but the bass also extended out a good 15 feet and hit me in the face without loosing any body. I like this analogy i gave the bass on the cm9 compared to lets say the kef's. Kefs were like dry firing a nerf gun where all you get is the woof as the bass on the cm9's was like a laser gun from star wars charging up and then shooting straight through you. While i did like the cm9's quite a bit, i couldn't help but feel there was something wrong with them. They were very dynamic and able to handle everything i threw at them. Pretty detailed for something that rich too. Then i realized what it was and i found a review of a marantz cd player that explained it perfectly. http://www.amazon.com/review/R2AUL4YBL42DF8/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005JK64EC&nodeID=172282&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful
After reading this i called up the speaker shop and asked what the cm9's were connected to.  They told me a marantz receiver with a marantz cd player.  So now i am thinking it was the cd player.
I am going to be taking the 2 hour drive here again in a couple weeks and plan on demoing the martin logans at the magnolia best buy.  Hopefully the setup will be good enough for me appreciate the speakers and get a good understanding of them.  

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 19

Depending on your budget you can get a nice integrated from a respectable company pretty cheap.

Heck you can get Mono blocks and a pre for around a grand from some of the great budget companies out there like Emotiva.

Quote:
I also just sent a request for pick up of the dac it.  Because of my ignorance of the topic, i couldn't help but think that balanced xlr would give me twice the music, therefore making the sound more rich.  After doing some more research today, i found that balanced only helps reduce noise through long lengths of cable and the other upside to balance xlr is running to a true differential amplifier which is nothing more than two seperate amps in one enclosure powering one speaker.  Now i'm not so sure i am willing to go balanced xlr because the only receivers or pre-amplifiers that also have hdmi connections are crazy expensive and then you still have to buy the amps if you go pre.  I do not planning on relying on a receiver to power my speakers as i see that being the biggest downfall to most peoples systems. Next to source of course.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 19
i heard the cm9's at the speaker shop of buffalo ny.  I have not heard anything at the best buy yet but i'm afraid i will have to go there to hear the mlogans.  
@Morbid Toaster, you make me feel special as i've read a lot of your posts for the past year (even though this account is newer) and now you're actually talking to me OOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGG  Skylab status bro.  Lol i was a little over the top but hell i doubt you care.  I actually do plan on going emotiva.  Haven't decided on receiver yet though because i will probably not be able to bother after spending my money on my speakers lol but whatever i go with will need to have 5 channel pre-outs.  Guess i'm just going to stick with rca.  Just cancelled the return request on the peach tree.  I'm also interested in the energy veritas line.  

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 19
i heard the cm9's at the speaker shop of buffalo ny.  I have not heard anything at the best buy yet but i'm afraid i will have to go there to hear the mlogans.  
@Morbid Toaster, you make me feel special as i've read a lot of your posts for the past year (even though this account is newer) and now you're actually talking to me OOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGG  Skylab status bro.  Lol i was a little over the top but hell i doubt you care.  I actually do plan on going emotiva.  Haven't decided on receiver yet though because i will probably not be able to bother after spending my money on my speakers lol but whatever i go with will need to have 5 channel pre-outs.  Guess i'm just going to stick with rca.  Just cancelled the return request on the peach tree.  I'm also interested in the energy veritas line.  

Go with the new Emotiva processor. It should have all you need for video and surround sound. Pair it with one of their amps and you'd be good to go.

Also...it's actually kind of cool to hear that from someone. I try to help where I can and what not so it's kind of nice to hear that kind of thing...though I'm not sure about Skylab status yet. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back