Peachtree Audio Dac-iTX
Mar 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HPiper

Headphoneus Supremus
I am unable to find a single review of this newer version of the Peachtree dac. I was hoping someone on these forums has one and could post some impressions of it. I know the original version was pretty highly rated and this one seems to be the same only with a much upgraded USB input.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 7
I have the newest Peachtree Audio DAC-iTx.

I too was surprised to find no review, and in fact no location to add it to my list of ownership items. I use the DAC exclusively for headphone listening, and would love to tell you how that is going. If you have specific questions let me know! It sits in my experimental rig where I frequently plug-in and un-plug new equipment.

When I first set it up, I listened to several different high-end ($1000 - $2000) disc players. But for each one, I listened and determined there was something I liked better about the original player's sound and did not much care for the DAC output. So I settled on an inexpensive Pioneer DV-C505 source, for which I probably paid $150 at a fire sale circa 2003. It is a 5-disc carousel DVD player, now used exclusively to spin RedBook discs.

In my most recent experiment, I used my Mac laptop as a media source. I tried direct USB into the Peachtree DAC. I also tried from the Toslink output of the Mac into the DAC. My favorite sound though was USB from Mac into a Meridian Explorer, Toslink from Explorer into Toslink input on the DAC-iTx, stereo cables from the DAC into headphone amp, and amp connected to headphones.

Though I like to experiment with my setup, I do not personally feel well-versed in DAC technology. I'll answer your specific questions, but I do not feel competent to write a full review. This is my only dedicated DAC purchase, and one of only three dedicated DAC that I have listened to in my past. I have another DAC in the form of an Oppo BDP-105. However I use only the USB interface, and output only to a stereo speaker system. A desktop Mac is connected via USB to Oppo, which feeds its analog cables directly to amplifier, which are then connected to stereo speakers.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, which is slightly less than writing a full review 
atsmile.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi. Any updates? Upgrades? Considering this DAC or the peachtree idac. Or an uber bitfrost.

Even the basic Bifrost is a considerably better investment. You can add USB, upgrade the audio to Uber, and later perhaps upgrade the DAC processor. That is if the original Bifrost (only $349) does not satisfy. To my ears, the Peachtree was not even on the same scale as the Schiit Fulla ($79). I simply felt more excited about the music from the Fulla than the cold sound I heard from the Peachtree. Your ears, your gears may vary.

Also consider the Modi 2 Uber ($149). It is what I would have bought were it available at the time.

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Thinking about an emotiva dc1 now. I think it's a little more comparable to the bitfrost.

I think your Emotiva DC-1, based on my reading and listening to comparable devices, is a better DAC. I think you have made a wise choice 
biggrin.gif

I did somewhat the same thing, choosing an Arcam irDAC (rated to sound indistinguishable from the Emotiva DC-1). The irDAC was being sold through some kind of a special deal on eBay. However I am not selling the Bifrost just quite as yet. I will sell the lesser DAC - the Bifrost (to my ears) is currently the lesser DAC. But the Bifrost still has an upgrade, likely soon to be released. Once that upgrade is installed, if I think the irDAC is still better, I will keep it.

I'm not clear that my choice (or lack of choosing) is as wise 
blink.gif

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 7
They can both be found for $410 approx. I actually don't need the headphone out on the emotiva. It will be hooked up to a two channel system (vandersteen speakers). I have been happy with the very clean headphone amp that is inside my integrated amp(s). It's a tough call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back