PDA with digital out
Nov 1, 2005 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nspindel

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there a pda that has an optical toslink or even an rca spdif???

I have all of my flacs on a server in my house, and have various clients connected as source components to various audio systems in the house. But imagine if I ran something like SlimServer on it, and then had a pda which had spdif out. I could stream the flacs from any Starbucks or airport lounge or any other hotspot, and hook up digitally to my Micro Stack/650's. The hell with carrying around hard drive based devices, this would be great, because then you only need to have one copy of the music, nothing to sync. Wouldn't work too well in a car or train, but around the house or in a hotel with broadband or at a friend's house, or anywhere else you can get a high speed connection, you've got perfect digital....

Nov 1, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 6
A PDA with digital out? Not that I know of. There are some very small laptops and tablets though.

I do wonder about streaming FLAC's over the internet though. Could the bandwidth be high enough?

Nov 1, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan
A PDA with digital out? Not that I know of. There are some very small laptops and tablets though.

I do wonder about streaming FLAC's over the internet though. Could the bandwidth be high enough?

Well, if the bandwidth isn't high enough now, it will be in 2 years, when the phone companies are done with all the fiber they're laying around here. We're supposed to have 30 megabit down, 5 megabit up by 2007 here in CT.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel
Well, if the bandwidth isn't high enough now, it will be in 2 years, when the phone companies are done with all the fiber they're laying around here. We're supposed to have 30 megabit down, 5 megabit up by 2007 here in CT.

Wow.
I just got off 56k dial-up.....

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 6
I've had cable for about 6 years. I've seen speed up to 1 megabit downloading once or twice, but usually normal is 600kb download from someplace good. But the phone company is going fiber down the street, then normal copper into the house. There will be a new DSL that's about 30 megabit download. Blazingly fast. Phone companies will be pushing streamed video to try to compete with cable companies. This may just convince me to hook back up to the phone company - I've been voip over cable internet for about 3 years now, don't even have a phone line connected any more.

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 6
your talking about ADSL2 which supports 30+ mbits but you need to be within 1000ft of your CO... and most peoples problems are distance from their CO for regular ADSL which i think is 15000ft?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back