PCM2702 USB DAC Revision B
Feb 1, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #391 of 670
Just use the multimeter to figure out which is anode, that is what I did, I could not tell visually either.

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #392 of 670
That's a good idea. I think I also may end up assembling the >10V external PSU powered version too.

The SMD stuff was *much* easier than I had expected it to be. I would like a finer tip for my soldering iron to do th 0805s, but other than that it was quite easy - esp. once I started soldering one of the pins to hoold the thing in place (thanks dsavitsk). The 1206 stuff was really breezy. The only problem I may have now is my girlfriend 'cleaned' and seems to have mixed up my 0805 capacitors, d'oh. Hopefully they're not too mixed up. (This is what I get for not putting the parts in little baggies before hand).

Good news though, my capacitors came from parts connexion today. I bought two 10uF solens to use for CL / CR. Insane overkill, but what the hell.

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #394 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf
Great article!!! I wish I had ears like yours. I am doing a lot of testing now. I suspect I fail to notice a lot of obvious things.

Would you be able to review other electrolytics? Something well regarded and popular – Silmics, Muse, etc.

RE: http://www.ecp.cc/cap-notes.html

I added a couple of electrolytics to the list (Panasonic Bi-Polar, Nichicon Muse ES Bi-Polar.) The results? The Panasonics are awful. The Nichicons are pretty nice and have the fattest bass I've ever heard.

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #395 of 670
dsavitsk,

That is an excellent comparison. I thought, Silmic was absent from that list. Can I send you a couple, so that you can add them to the list. PM me if you want.

Regards,
Dinesh

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #396 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
RE: http://www.ecp.cc/cap-notes.html

I added a couple of electrolytics to the list (Panasonic Bi-Polar, Nichicon Muse ES Bi-Polar.) The results? The Panasonics are awful. The Nichicons are pretty nice and have the fattest bass I've ever heard.

dsavitsk,

re: Electric Goldmine- I can't seem to find the link to the $3.49 sets of capacitors. Can you provide it for me?

Thanks,
Brad

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #397 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
re: Electric Goldmine- I can't seem to find the link to the $3.49 sets of capacitors. Can you provide it for me?

Here's the item (look under capacitor assortments, then for the high voltage film cap assortment -- I'll make a note about this on my page). http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...tem=2&mitem=13 They seem to have raised the price to $5.00 which is a little high considering you don't know what you are getting. I got one 20uF film cap that I was very excited about until I went to use it and discovered it only had one lead
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dviswa
That is an excellent comparison. I thought, Silmic was absent from that list. Can I send you a couple, so that you can add them to the list. PM me if you want.

That's very generous of you. Do they make a small value bi-polar? I haven't been able to find any.

Feb 6, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #398 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
That's very generous of you. Do they make a small value bi-polar? I haven't been able to find any.

According to their site, they have as small as 0.47. What I have available is 100 and 220 mfd electrolytics. Don't think they come in bipolar. I bought it in a Group Buy here on Head-fi.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #399 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by dviswa
Don't think they come in bipolar.

I think I don't want to get into the business of evaluating every electrolytic, so I am going to stick with the bi-polars for now. I have used them as ouput and cathode bypass caps in a millett, so I feel like I have a sense what they sound like, but not enough sense to say anything. If I change my mind I'll add some small ones to my next welborne order. Thanks again for the offer, though.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #400 of 670
Sorry guys it took me a while to get around to putting my thoughts.

Juggling CDs are not my favorite activities, so I never invested much in CD players. Chaintech AV 710 is the only source I have listened for any extended duration, thus am qualified to have an opinion on.

This USB DAC throws an enormous sound stage adding a whole new dimension - depth, AV710 in comparison was almost 2D. The separation and air the music has now is absolutely fantastic. AV710 is also a little muddy in comparison in addition to sounding laid back. The DAC puts you in the front seat. With AV710 Female vocals was a little more enjoyable and tad warmer while with the DAC the male vocals sound great. You can actually hear the back of the throat of Enrique Iglesias in Hero for instance.

My Maxed out PPA with Glassman DB makes a great match to this gret DAC. My Millet-Hybrid do not seem to be a great match.

There is no going back for me now. Don't be surprised if you saw the 710, Millet Hybrid shows up in the FS forums.

Thanks a lot to Alf, Guzzler, 00940, Francis Vaughan, dsavitsk and everybody else here, I now have a great DAC.

Regards,
Dinesh

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #401 of 670
Well, it didn't go as planned. I guess I must have installed the DC-DC converter backwards or something cause it was overheatting and the DAC wasn't working. So I'm going to try and get it to work as an Option B DAC now instead of an Option A DAC.

Looking at the schematic however, it's unclear to me where I connect the +V and -V from my input (12 VDC)? I'm assuming the I connect the +12V to the 12V pad, but where does the -V lead from the PSU connect to - I think that any GND pad will work, right?

Feb 8, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #403 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by ble0t
Yep...any ground should work.

Well, then something is wrong - I've got it connected it'snot working. I must've fried something else then. The LM317 is getting very warm - but it's probably overpowered, my 12VDC gives PSU gives off about 15volts. Crap crap crap.. The TPS chip I had when I was going self powered was getting super hot once it was connected. So I think I'll start all over with my last board.
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #404 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Well, it didn't go as planned. I guess I must have installed the DC-DC converter backwards or something cause it was overheatting and the DAC wasn't working.

Can you post a picture?

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #405 of 670
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf
Can you post a picture?

Yes - as soon as I get my digicam working. I removed the DC-DC converter - thinking that it was the problem and then went with option B by connecting up +15V at the 12V pad, and connecting the 0V at the GND pad and tried it out that way. Still, no bones. Neither my PC or my Mac recognized the device. It didn't even say 'unrecognized device'.. It just ignored it altogether.

The only thing left I can think of trying is connecting the input voltage off of the USB to the +9V pad like you did earlier..

I'm really beginning to wonder if the problem lies with that first PCM2702E chip. I tested out each pin using a continuity tester to make sure that nothing was touching the wrong pad but.. I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back