PCM VS FLAC ; Personal Experience
Jun 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #31 of 35
  Should have seen something like this if you ever used that plugin..

Yes, but I want to know what the details of the implementation are. Do you have a link?

Cheers

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #32 of 35

Yes, but I want to know what the details of the implementation are. Do you have a link?

Cheers

Nope, that's why I said "IIRC"...
But you should be able to find the temporary files under specified folder during test.

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #33 of 35

Nope, that's why I said "IIRC"...
But you should be able to find the temporary files under specified folder during test.

Well, the ABX files in the temp folder are 32-bit PCM.

Rather than directly ABXing flac vs wav, you must use the sound card to record the sound clip played back as wav and as flac, and then
ABX the recorded files. This would permit any anomalies in the flac or wav playback to be captured and their audibility identified via a controlled ABX test.

Cheers

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #34 of 35
The song is pretty boring and not a good example for ABX testing (no real instruments or vocals). I might post something better (+ plots) if you want, but I listen mostly to electronic music, and it seems that it is said that the audio differences are most apparent with classical.

That's because of the high dynamic range that is (often) present in classical, and the fact that many (often older) music fans can pick out any unnatural sounds in the acoustic instruments quite easily....I say often older fans because it used to be far more popular to actually go to a live symphony.

Listening to heavily synthetic electronic (I love electronic music) it hardly makes any sense to even attempt to say "that cymbal doesn't shine right" or "that guitar tone sounds off" when you have no idea what processing was done to the sounds in the first place!

@ ab initio - go over to hydrogen and all your foobar questions shall be answered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back