PCM Format
Jan 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cole-Gauthier

New Head-Fier
Good morning Head-Fi,

I was wondering if I should convert or copy whatever is on the cd through PCM format. I have read that PCM is what audiophiles use but PCM uses tremendous amounts of disk space but if I get quality what the hell. Right?

Thanks alot,
Cole

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 8
I rather recommend you looking into lossless codecs, like Apple Lossless, FLAC, WavPack, ...
No loss in audio data. But the benefit of smaller files sizes, plus metadata and artwork support.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Audio CDs contain PCM audio, so when using the same format on a computer mean that there is no loss of audio data.
Unlike lossy formats like MP3, AAC, Vorbis, ...

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 8
but it doesnt have any benefits over lossless compression, as kmarthis said earlier, flac and alac both allow metadata, which is nice for libraries, and they both save a bunch of space. there is no reason not to use lossless compression

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 8
using uncompressed PCM should never be more than a middle step when ripping a CD unless you plan to open the file in an audio editor (even then some will open lossless codecs)

for archiving a CD the best way to go IMO is rip to a single file with cue sheet then encode to a lossless format that supports embedded cuesheet

the result is a single file that contains the whole album with all track information full tagging support and you can even put the album art into the file

Users who are viewing this thread

Back