PCIexpress Soundcard Advice Sought
Feb 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mig27

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm looking at a new SFF build that will be used for audio and movies, but no gaming. I'll be hooking it up via optical SPDIF to my 5.1 system (I will also be using my Grado SR60s quite a lot) and I'm wondering whether a soundcard is worth the investment or whether onboard will suffice. I'm looking in the sub £100 range for a PCI-express card and it seems like the following are the options:
- ASUS Xonar DX
- ASUS Xonar DSX
- Creative Soundblaster XFi Xtreme Audio

The ASUS Xonar DX is lacking DTS, the Xonar DSX seems fairly good all round and the Creative SB cards seem to have a bad reputation. The pricier D2X doesn't appear to review any better than the cheaper Xonars and all other soundcards appear to be more gaming orientated.

Would I be right in leaning towards the DSX? 

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Just get the cheapest PCIe sound card that supports either Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, and use that.

If you're not gaming on this system, then you have zero incentive to get a Creative card specifically. (Besides, XtremeAudio cards are the "fakes" that are better avoided.)

For that matter, is there any reason why the HDMI audio path isn't an option?

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 3
I have the Xonar DGX (PCI Express version of the DX), and I am content with it. It's noticeably better sounding than RealTek ESPECIALLY if you want to use the EQ. The Xonar EQ destroys the Realtek in all regards.

If you decide to go with the DGX it's my personal preference not to use the "headphone" setting because it has a muffling effect over simply selecting 2 speakers as output. It's silly to advertise it as a headphone sound card and have headphone mode, but cripple it (to my ears). Having said that, it does have lots of fun settings, but if you are like me you will leave it on flat for the majority of the time.

If I could do it over again I would look at an exterior sound card, as they are supposed to be superior due to lack of emi interference from being inside a computer.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back