PCIe Soundcard recommandations
Feb 25, 2011 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

CrazyKoala

New Head-Fier
Hello. I would like to get some good stuff as my soundcad in my future computer. I don't want those USB equipments, just a pain.

I am not a musician. I just want to enjoy a good driving for my IEM, right now the Copper turbine.

any recommandation ? I saw the EMU 404 wasn't too bad but maybe I can get something better for in the same price range :)

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 42
Well I dont know if your in the usa or not, But Xonar STX goes for $175 at www.jr.com its PCIE. It has op-amp sockets as well.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 42

Quote:
Is it supposed to be better than X-Fi ? Cause it seems that the Creative sound card aren't that good concerning the "hi-fi" music.

The Xonar series offers all of the gaming features of Creatives cards and has much better audio quality (I owned a 'high end' Creative card before my Xonar D2X). 

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 42

Quote:
The Xonar series offers all of the gaming features of Creatives cards and has much better audio quality (I owned a 'high end' Creative card before my Xonar D2X). 

Xonar soundcards (namely D2X, ST, STX and above) have quite good SQ, but for gaming they're just nothing compared to X-Fi powered soundcards, lower gaming audio performance and MUCH less features.

Since the OP didn't mention gaming, a Xonar D2X or a STX would be quite nice. If going with Creative, the Titanium HD is very good as well.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 42

Quote:

Xonar soundcards (namely D2X, ST, STX and above) have quite good SQ, but for gaming they're just nothing compared to X-Fi powered soundcards, lower gaming audio performance and MUCH less features.

Since the OP didn't mention gaming, a Xonar D2X or a STX would be quite nice. If going with Creative, the Titanium HD is very good as well.

I have never had a problem with gaming performance on my Xonar card. I know they do the EAX in software (via emulation) instead of hardware, but that doesn't really better. I do have a pretty powerful computer so I am not going to miss the fraction of a FPS I am probably losing using my Xonar card. As I said, I had a Creative Sound card (one of those Fatal1ty gaming cards that cost around $125) before my Xonar and I prefer my Xonar in every way.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 42

Quote:
I have never had a problem with gaming performance on my Xonar card. I know they do the EAX in software (via emulation) instead of hardware, but that doesn't really better. I do have a pretty powerful computer so I am not going to miss the fraction of a FPS I am probably losing using my Xonar card. As I said, I had a Creative Sound card (one of those Fatal1ty gaming cards that cost around $125) before my Xonar and I prefer my Xonar in every way.

Of course you don't have problems with gaming audio on a Xonar per se, it's just that X-Fi powered soundcards perform better in games. And doing hardware processing instead of software does yield better results.

Besides gaming audio performance being better, there are details that can only be heard on hardware EAX soundcards or some specific Creative features, as games do favor Creatives, that's just a given.

This has been discussed a ton of times before, and the point still is if gaming is the primary concern, then get a Creative, if not then get anything else.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 42

Quote:

Of course you don't have problems with gaming audio on a Xonar per se, it's just that X-Fi powered soundcards perform better in games. And doing hardware processing instead of software does yield better results.

Besides gaming audio performance being better, there are details that can only be heard on hardware EAX soundcards or some specific Creative features, as games do favor Creatives, that's just a given.

This has been discussed a ton of times before, and the point still is if gaming is the primary concern, then get a Creative, if not then get anything else.

EDIT: The new Titanium HD is comparable to the Xonar STX, so that's some food for thought
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 42
Thank you for the help. I don't care AT ALL about the gaming part as I don't play games on my computer :). If the XONAR cards "musical' quality competes with the "serious / pro" sound card , it's really cool for me. Do all models use the same core chipset and then it's really the "gagdets" that differ on the models ?

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 42
Roller: When you wrote that the Titanium HD is comparable to the Xonar STX, could you elaborate on that a bit? I'm looking at the Titanium HD, but don't want to make a huge mistake with lesser SQ. I am a gamer, first and foremost, but enjoy listening to music too. I've currently got a PA2V2 powering my Denon AHD2000. Any guidance you can send my way on deciding between Titanium HD vs Xonar would be appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 42
In simple terms, the Titanium HD has stereo output with similar quality components when compared to the STX, along with all the goodness that Creative has when it comes to games. If gaming is your main purpose, the Titanium HD is the way to go. SQ is also up there for when you want to listen to music or watch movies, you won't be underwhelmed by it compared to lower end previous generation Creatives.

Running your D2000 through a PA2V2 connected to a Titanium HD would sound sweet, though I'm not sure D2000 would be the best for, let's say, competitive gaming like FPS where positional cues need to be accurate and clear, seems like bass gets in the way of that.

Bottomline, Titanium HD has at least the same SQ as Xonar STX, much better gaming performance, but stereo output. For a gamer, the choice is clear, but it's up to you
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 42
Thanks, Roller! Much appreciated. I auditioned quite a few cans before settling on those Denons. :) For my taste, I was willing to trade off a bit of "Competitive" for "Fun". I was coming from Senns, which have resolution and clarity like nothing I've heard, but I craved the bass that the Denons now provide me in spades.

If you don't mind me asking a follow up, what is the pro/con between the 3 Xonars everyone seems to enjoy:
  1. STX
  2. D2X
  3. DX

Lastly, I noticed you have the X-Fi USB. I was looking to get the PCI-E card. Is there anything I'd lose by going the USB route?

Truly lastly, is there a good summary thread on this that I've missed. It took me days to find all the headphone threads I was looking for, but I found them. Threads for these soundcards, not so much.

Cheers and thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back