PCI version of Emu 0404?
Aug 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

billbillw

Head-Fier
Anyone using the Emu 0404 PCI card? I know many here love the USB version. I was thinking about changing my Audigy Platinum EX card out with one of these but wanted to check first. I can't really afford the USB version, but the PCI version can be had pretty cheap.

I will mainly be using the digital output to my Entech DAC for 2.0 channel sound. I don't game much. At some point, I may pull out the Entech and start using analog outputs to my amp. I will also do occasional analog recording from my turntable.

Are the Emu 64bit drivers stable? (I'm using XP 64bit)
ASIO drivers work well?
Is the digital output stable?
How is the recording quality of the analog inputs?
How does the analog output sound?

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 15
After sorting through 20+ pages of searches, I found some opinions from a few years back. Seems it was pretty highly thought of.

On a side note: Why isn't it easier to search these forums?
None of the usual searching flags work. You can't group terms with " marks. You can exclude terms with the - symbol. You can't reduce the search count by making multiple terms required with the + symbol.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 15
headfi's most prolific poster, jahn, uses an emu0404 pci

and about the search bar
doesn't bother me much...its kinda fun reading through threads that are only somewhat related to my search

and i heard that the search hasn't been the same ever since the great outage of november in 2007

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 15
I've been using my 0404 along with an Audigy 2ZS for years now. I set the Audigy as the default card for Windows and set the 0404 for music playback in Foobar2k w/ASIO. The patchmix software takes a little bit to get used to, but is fairly solid in my experience. I've never had any issues with digital or analog output (which is good for the price IMO).

I've never recorded with the card and have never used it with XP-64, so I can't comment on that.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 15
I have the old one - the new version uses a better DAC chip.

It's great as a transport, and it's easy to DIY a better S/PDIF D-15 output cable.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Is the 1212m great as transport too?

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iNiGFx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the 1212m great as transport too?

Yes, its digital output is known to be one of the best available for internal cards.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Well, I'll soon have my hands on an 0404 PCI to replace my aged SB Audigy Platinum. Snagged one NIB for only $30 shipped. Gotta love the extremely rare occasion when Ebay comes through with a great deal.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbillw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'll soon have my hands on an 0404 PCI to replace my aged SB Audigy Platinum. Snagged one NIB for only $30 shipped. Gotta love the extremely rare occasion when Ebay comes through with a great deal.

Wow, you got one hell of a deal. Congrats!

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using my 0404 along with an Audigy 2ZS for years now. I set the Audigy as the default card for Windows and set the 0404 for music playback in Foobar2k w/ASIO. The patchmix software takes a little bit to get used to, but is fairly solid in my experience. I've never had any issues with digital or analog output (which is good for the price IMO).

I've never recorded with the card and have never used it with XP-64, so I can't comment on that.

I've been using this setup for years. Awsome, you have all the pro's great for gaming and godly for music.

I've been using a modded 0404 which I removed some buffers and replaced the op-amps with some that were a bit sharper and faster. I can honestly say I can't think of a situation in which i'd part with it.

-dan

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 15
So to answer the post.

1. Never used 64bit
2. ASIO works great!
3. Never used the digital output, feeds directly into my PPA w/ D buffers.
4. Never recorded with it.
5. Best source i've ever heard. If you have a decent amp you can really take advantage of what this card can really do. Mod the opamps, and it will give you a level of clarity that will make you burn your mp3's and turn to FLAC.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to answer the post.

1. Never used 64bit
2. ASIO works great!
3. Never used the digital output, feeds directly into my PPA w/ D buffers.
4. Never recorded with it.
5. Best source i've ever heard. If you have a decent amp you can really take advantage of what this card can really do. Mod the opamps, and it will give you a level of clarity that will make you burn your mp3's and turn to FLAC.

Thanks. I'll probably compare the stock analog output of the 0404 with the digital feed going to my Entech 203.2 and see which I prefer. Both setups will feed my LD MkV/Senn 580 as well as my desktop monitors (Athenas powered by that amazing $15 Accurian amp) for when I don't feel like wearing cans.

Yeah, I'm listening to mostly FLAC or APE files lately (and those are usually from MFSL or DCC discs). A few 256kBps MP3s sound ok.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 15
I'd love my 0404 if it worked with foobar2000/Windows Vista better.

Using ASIO output, the drivers crash pretty regularly, usually when I advance to the next track. Windows Vista (x64) throws up a DEP error in CTASIO. There is no known fix, and Creative aren't exactly prioritizing fixing this issue as the product is targeted to music recording/production.

Using foobar with Kernel Streaming appears to function properly for the most part, but I'd much rather prefer to use the ASIO mono strips in PatchMix so I can mute the left or right channel easily. Also while in KS, it will not automatically switch sample rates between 44.1 and 48kHz tracks.

Since I can't get what I want out of the Emu0404, I'm looking for another soundcard that will do what I want.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Well, I installed my 0404 last night and couldn't be happier. It seems works flawless in my XP 64-bit system and the sound quality is excellent. No problems getting Foobar to output with the ASIO drivers.

Hight quality MSFL/DCC FLAC files to Foobar>ASIO>SPIDF>Entech NC203.2>LDMkV>Senn HD580 is providing some of the best quality sound that I've ever heard. It also sounds very good on the analog outputs that feed my little modified Accurian amp>Athena AS-B1.2 speakers. Much better bass and less noise than what I had with the SB Audigy and/or the Realtek motherboard sound.

I haven't tried yet, but can anyone tell me what to expect if/when I want to play some games? Obviously, I know I won't get any multichannel support, but will it work ok in 2-ch mode?

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 15
I used to be a WoW addict
confused_face(1).gif
and it was fine for that
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back