PCI-E soundcards
Jul 20, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sure sucks to be living within a transition period eh (PCI->PCI-E)

I think PCI-E slot in motherboard became popular from 2004.
Back then, it sounded like pci-e will replace pci in a year. Remember those ads and reviews that said how great pci-e's bandwidth to compare with that of pci?
It's summer of 2007 now, and still we don't see whole lot of pci-e devices. I do not have single pci-e device in my computer except the video card.
This transition is painfully slow. manufactures didn't have to invest pci-e devices, since pci device could do the job. So, I am bit skeptical about this whole pci-e thing. Sure, pci-e devices will be developed, ans will be popular, but Is it really gonna happen in... let say... in next 10 years? :p

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think PCI-E slot in motherboard became popular from 2004.
Back then, it sounded like pci-e will replace pci in a year. Remember those ads and reviews that said how great pci-e's bandwidth to compare with that of pci?
It's summer of 2007 now, and still we don't see whole lot of pci-e devices. I do not have single pci-e device in my computer except the video card.
This transition is painfully slow. manufactures didn't have to invest pci-e devices, since pci device could do the job. So, I am bit skeptical about this whole pci-e thing. Sure, pci-e devices will be developed, ans will be popular, but Is it really gonna happen in... let say... in next 10 years? :p

I'd give it about another year, at most. Everything onboard is on PCIe now, and almost every addon component is available in inexpensive PCIe variants now - with the exception of sound cards for some strange reason. You can even get low-volume stuff like IEEE1394 and USB interface cards on PCIe for little price premium.

You're right though, I really don't understand why it's taking so long. SATA uptake took a year or two at most, and has similar advantages. PCIe is clearly superiour in every way, and there are real issues with bandwidth contention on PCI with today's hardware. The entire PCI bus can't even keep up with a single GigE interface, let alone trying to stuff hard disks and other miscellany on the same bus.

PCIe will be here soon, driven by these gamers buying cards with a single legacy PCI slot.

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sure sucks to be living within a transition period eh (PCI->PCI-E)

Its technology, were always in a transition period
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen one yet.

Creative likes to make up ******** stories. Like the one they told about that they have to make a different ALchemy for Audigy cards because they and the X-Fi's are too different. They turned out to be lying through their teeth, as ALchemy was cracked to make it work even on SB Live! cards.

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creative Labs have bus issues? I don't know what the SbLive! you're talking about!

Hehe..I had a SBLive! and in a few games it would get swamped with sounds and start popping and crackling. What a POS that card was. PCI-E should solve issues like this so them saying PCI is better for sound than PCI-E is BS.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe..I had a SBLive! and in a few games it would get swamped with sounds and start popping and crackling. What a POS that card was. PCI-E should solve issues like this so them saying PCI is better for sound than PCI-E is BS.

Sure, but there were tons of brands with PCI cards in any price range which worked nicely without a single bug.
I refuse to buy anything from Creative in the last 6 years, and have been happy with it.
Now I can see people with Audigy 1 and 2 whine because Creative charges them money for a Vista driver.
icon10.gif
Way to go!

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 27
On the flip side my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz has no such thing as a Vista driver and has 3D sound issues in a number of games. I liked Audigy2 and I like X-Fi even more. For gaming purposes and as a digital transport to my EMU 0404 USB the X-Fi is good.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 27
@Daroid, The are trying to charge money for Alchemy Not the drivers. There is a version released that works on most CL cards. IT was mentioned about them lying. I asked them FLAT-OUT and they told me th same thing. Now I know they were lying the modding ALchemy version just removes the EAX 5.0 check. Nothing else without that it works on Audigy and Live!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back