PCI-E bit perfect card to use as transport
Jul 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blinx

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Creative X-fi xtrememusic that uses digital coax to output a bit perfect signal to my schiit bifrost.  It works great and I have enjoyed the card since about 2006.. however i'm looking to upgrade my box to SLI (dual graphics cards) which effectively blocks the PCI slot I use for the x-fi.  I've tried researching and really haven't found anything for my needs (all the threads are pretty dated)

The only thing I use it for is a bit-perfect transport.. so the requirements are pci-e, bit-perfect and digital coax.  Am I just too picky?

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I currently have a Creative X-fi xtrememusic that uses digital coax to output a bit perfect signal to my Schiit Bifrost.  It works great and I have enjoyed the card since about 2006.. however I'm looking to upgrade my box to SLI (dual graphics cards) which effectively blocks the PCI slot I use for the X-fi.  I've tried researching and really haven't found anything for my needs (all the threads are pretty dated)

The only thing I use it for is a bit-perfect transport.. so the requirements are PCI-E, bit-perfect and digital coax.  Am I just too picky?

Does your motherboard come with S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output?
If motherboard does have S/PDIF, have you tested it with Bifrost?
(What make and model motherboard?)

A used Sound Blaster Titanium comes with S/PDIF optical output and used ones can sell on eBay for around $50.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Does your motherboard come with S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output?
If motherboard does have S/PDIF, have you tested it with Bifrost?
(What make and model motherboard?)

A used Sound Blaster Titanium comes with S/PDIF optical output and used ones can sell on eBay for around $50.

Well my mobo has optical spdif.. however it's not bit-perfect which is what i'm really looking for.  I heard coax has less jitter than optical so i'd prefer to stay with that.  You think i should look into more content creation cards?

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Well my mobo has optical S/PDIF. however it's not bit-perfect which is what I'm really looking for.  I heard coax has less jitter than optical so I'd prefer to stay with that.  You think i should look into more content creation cards?

I know little about Content creation cards.

There are some low cost sound cards that come with a coaxial output.

The Rosewill RC 702 PCI sound card comes with a coaxial output and sells for $25 or less.
Uses the same chipset (C-Media CMI8768) as the Xonar DG.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I know little about Content creation cards.

There are some low cost sound cards that come with a coaxial output.

The Rosewill RC 702 PCI sound card comes with a coaxial output and sells for $25 or less.
Uses the same chipset (C-Media CMI8768) as the Xonar DG.

I'll check that one out :) 

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back