PCDP with adjustable EQ
Nov 4, 2002 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rizumu

Thinks I like him.
Well, since I got my Portapros I figured I would be listening to my PCDP more than my MP3 player, because CDs are a better quality source than MP3s. It's been quite the opposite, however, and my Rio 500 has been much more enjoyable to listen to. I think this has to do with the fact that I love my Rio 500's adjustable EQ, and hate my Panasonic PCDP's crappy bass boost.

My Rio 500 has presets as well as the ability to adjust the bass and treble yourself. When I went to use the Portapros with my Panasonic SL-SW880, after first using my Rio 500, the bass boost turned the music overwhelmingly, well, bassy, and it was quite fatiguing to listen too. Plus it sounded like crap. So, are there any good sounding PCDPs out there that have an adjustable EQ like my Rio 500? Does using an EQ degrade the sound quality much?

Thanks.

Nov 4, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 4
try the iRiver imp350. not only can you adjust the bass and treble boost from 1-12, but you can also adjust the corner frequency, which helps fill in whatever portion your headphones might lack in (i.e. the upper mid range). with my ety 4p's and the slimX, i have yet to hear any headphone that matches my combinations extremely high sound quality (all this considering i don't use an amp and have not really tried out any tremendously expensive headphones w/ equally expensive amps). but i have heard many pcdp out there (panasonic, and even some of the older, great sounding sony players) and IMO the SlimX beats them all. you won't be dissapointed! i think that the Rio company is affiliated with iRiver...their pre-set EQ settings are the exact same.

Nov 4, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Wow. I think you found a winner! I may be jumping to conclusions (never mind that's it 1 am
tongue.gif
), but that player looks really awesome, and I can recall seeing good things said about it here. It even has a line out. I hadn't considered the iRiver before since I wasn't really interested in playing MP3 cds, but it looks to have everything I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice zeplin, that was quick!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2002 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back