pcdp vs. mp3
Jan 7, 2006 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Arnoldhasmail

100+ Head-Fier
I’m curious why so many people are interested in pcdp’s when the newest generation probably sound inferior to a good quality mp3 or lossless file from an ipod or similar player? They’re also much less convenient to travel with.

Is there a benefit I’m not aware of?

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 30
You can just slap a CD in there and go. Which is handy sometimes. Also some people just can't bothered with all the work of using a computer, ripping and encoding. Usually people are looking for one with line out and defeatable antiskip. So they use it a "portable" transport into an portable amp.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 30
You make ripping and encoding sound like a chore. Its done once and then you can have all your CDs in your pocket.

Just bung in a CD for a whole 7 or 8 songs and then get another one out.

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 30
I think its just a hobbyist thing, which is fine, all of this stuff is. I have been wanting to pick up a CD player myself lately, even though I have no use for one at all.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
You make ripping and encoding sound like a chore. Its done once and then you can have all your CDs in your pocket.

Just bung in a CD for a whole 7 or 8 songs and then get another one out.

Well you have to buy a computer, a connection to the web for tagging and then learn to use it, all making sure you don't get virus and spyware etc.

Or

You can just buy a $100 PCDP.

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Well you have to buy a computer, a connection to the web for tagging and then learn to use it, all making sure you don't get virus and spyware etc.

Or

You don't need a connection to tag mp3s. You can simply do it yourself via alot of ID3 tag editors, or simply doing it before your rip the CD. Computers are relatively cheap now a days, and many people already have them. Smart computer users know how to avoid spyware. Also the conveniece factor of not having to lug a bunch of CDs around with you is worth the extra cost IMO.

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
You don't need a connection to tag mp3s. You can simply do it yourself via alot of ID3 tag editors, or simply doing it before your rip the CD.

I think he meant a connection to the CDDB or freeDB databases for tagging, where you do need the internet. It's kind of a pain to tag by hand.

I like both. The MP3 player is minimalistic, and perfect for truly portable uses (commuting, exercise, etc). I use it unamped with portable headphones.

The CD player sounds better (with the same amping and headphones and source music), and it's good to have my music on the original CDs - I don't have to worry that I'll lose my collection the next time Windows crashes or a hard drive fails, and I don't have to hassle with weekly backups. The battery life on the PCDP is astounding - lasts a month or more with 1-2 hours daily use.

The PCDP is my "transportable" source. I don't use it in the same places where I'd use a DAP. I use it around the house, in hotel rooms, dorm rooms, etc. My CD collection so far can be carried around in one large Case-Logic case, so that's not really a big problem.

EDIT: Since I can't afford a high-end component CD player, don't want to shlep it back and forth from home to college every six months, nor do I have room for one (dorm room), the Sony D-NE920 PCDP also serves me admirably as a source for my "home listening" rig.

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 30
Theres pro's and con's to both ways to do. However its narrow minded to generalise and say one way is better just because it suits you best.

Tagging by hand is a pain, some people have neither time or the patience, or simply the desire to do that. Personally I don't have the time for that. Between work, and a family, I bearly have time to eat and sleep never mind tag stuff by hand. Only a person with time on their hands can do that.

Lots of people simply detest using a computer, or are technophobic.People want to play a CD they buy in a shop, on the way home, or when travelling, or on holidays. Some people just prefer handling the media, CD & box. Some people don't listen to that much music so a MP3 player is overkill for their requirements.

Better quality is mute point, as its difficult to get good modern PCDP as it also difficult to get good SQ on a MP3 player as most of them are not designed primarily for the Audiophile.

I have a PDA. But I also have a traditional paper diary. Because I simply like the exercise of writing, and you can take quick notes faster, and other people can read it easier.

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 30
Some people like the latest car with the latest gizmos, for others only a '67 Chevy will do. If it works and one has fun with it what more could anyone want?

Paul

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 30
i keep my pcdp (d-ej2000) on standby for when i do my monthly cd purchases, im the impatient type who cant wait the trip home to listen to my new cds. somtimes i just have it for gapless playback, and the quality of sound that i get from the d-ej2000 is much better than my current mp3 portable solution.

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191

Or

Well, I don't know anyone who buys an mp3-player without computer access or buys a computer to just make mp3s, in fact I know computers aren't just used for ripping.
eek.gif

So the percent of a computers use making mp3s is undoubtedly less than $100 of its worth.

Jan 8, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 30
I like the idea of taking my old pcdp and a bunch of burned cds on a roadtrip with me. and if any of it is lost, broken or stolen i've lost almost nothing. (my pcdp is an old sony from middle school, not a lot of value)

if i really want audiophile quality i'll wait until i get home. besides i also don't care to worry about having a $250 ipod that will someday stop working or become so outdated its not 'in' anymore.

Jan 8, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
...the quality of sound that i get from the d-ej2000 is much better than my current mp3 portable solution.

You reckon a d-ej2000 is better (via earphone?) then your (from sig) Portable; Archos gmini 400 (BassHead) > Shure e4c / homemade cMoy/Mint+crossfeed - MS1?

Thats surprising.

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Well, I don't know anyone who buys an mp3-player without computer access or buys a computer to just make mp3s, in fact I know computers aren't just used for ripping.
eek.gif

So the percent of a computers use making mp3s is undoubtedly less than $100 of its worth.

Since this thread is about people buying PCDP's and not MP3 players or computers I not sure what point your making. No ones suggested people by a MP3 player with out a computer, or that computers are only used for ripping?

The point is just using a PCDP is as simple as it gets. No tagging, no computers, not bitrates, no encoders, no libraries etc. For some thats the attraction. The other is that PCDP line out is the least processed portable source you can get, since its closest to the source (CD).

Theres also the learning curve. Learn about ripping, encoding, tagging, maintaining a computer, then which DAP to buy and how to use it. You might think thats insignificant. But many people are able, but just aren't interested in doing that. Plus the cost of a DAP is many times the cost of a PCDP.

Even if you have a PC many people prefer only using them for certain tasks, say work, or net use. But keep other tasks like music (use a PCDP instead) or gaming (use a console instead), or instead of VOIP (use a landline) or as PVR (use a VHS or DVD recorder instead), watch TV (use a seperate TV instead).

I work in IT. You'd think that lots of audiophiles would use their PC for music. However a lot I've met don't, because they consider anything to do with a computer work. Music is their hobby. So they keep it seperate.

You don't have to agree with them, but don't assume their way is "wrong" because its different, or wouldn't suit you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back