PCB vs wire-to-wire
Jan 27, 2002 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Monkey King

Head-Fier
Hi,

Can someone explain to me what are the sonic advantages/disadvantages to using a PCB? Most DIY projects don't involve professional PCBs, so I'm wondering if sonics are sacrificed as a result.

More specifically, will Jan's HA-1 design be optimal in its PCB form?

Thanks for reading

Jan 27, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 4
PCB tracks are typically thin copper. It can be difficult to route tracks on a PCB in two dimensions with the effect that tracks can take very circuitous routes, perhaps going near things they shouldn't. This can lead to hum.

I like point-to-point wiring mainly for simple projects but especially in tube amps, it just looks right. If you use wire to make connections you can choose your materials, such as silver.

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 4
I doubt you'll get bad sonics from not having a PCB, unless you do something like make an op-amp oscillate due to poor wiring. With a PCB, such things are harder to do -- it's a more predictable process, which is why most commercial stuff is on PCBs. In other words, its done for assembly reasons, not for sonic ones.

I find that to be true in my own DIYing -- I've made fewer mistakes with my PCB-based projects than the ones I've done on protoboard. And, the mistakes I've made in the PCB projects have most often been in the hookup wires, panel components, etc., and not down on the board.

The main disadvantage of PCBs is that they're not easy to do on a one-off basis -- the CAD and etching work pays off best when you're doing lots of boards in an automated process.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 4
PCB's- easy to assemble. durable. Point-to-point- Sounds better, easier to modify, tougher to build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back