PCB print questions
Sep 18, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Click file print
blink.gif

If you mean where can you manufacture using eagle files, then pretty much anywhere. You often need to export to gerber files.

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
You often need to export to gerber files.

I'd say you "must" export Gerbers. I had a bad experience once with a manufacturer that claimed they could make the boards straight from the EAGLE files. They rejected the design, claiming that the layers were mismatched. On further investigation, it turned out that they were using the default Gerber CAM file, which usually results in the bottom layers being mirrored relative to correct orientation. The board house would have known this if they actually did any serious volume in this method.

The moral of the story is that a board house may say they offer a certain service, but that doesn't make them any good at it. Stick with the standard Gerber format if you want to be certain they'll get it right the first time.

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
I'd say you "must" export Gerbers. I had a bad experience once with a manufacturer that claimed they could make the boards straight from the EAGLE files. They rejected the design, claiming that the layers were mismatched. On further investigation, it turned out that they were using the default Gerber CAM file, which usually results in the bottom layers being mirrored relative to correct orientation. The board house would have known this if they actually did any serious volume in this method.

The benefit with letting the PCB manufacturer take the Eagle file, is that if there is any mistake with the Gerber conversion (like mirroring or drill file export) it is their mistake, not yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back