PCB Drawing
Aug 19, 2007 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dumbears

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to draw my own version of board with the schematics I can get from the website, like CMOY. However, I'm quite lost in choosing the right PCB drawing software. Since I'm just starting it, which software should I pick? I know there're some free ones, like ExpressPCB and Eagle.

Moreover, is there some tutorials/training guides I can get from the Internet?

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 12
expresspcb kinda sucks because you can only use it to order boards from expresspcb...

eagle is quite universal, and there's a free noncommercial version available.
there's an eagle tutorial on tangents site (tangentsoft.net). there are others, I think one was on sparkfun.
But Eagle surely takes some time to get used to - my first 2 or 3 designs were absolutely horrible, but then I got used to designing a PCB and working with Eagle

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi,
I can confirm what balou wrote. I've started with Eagle one week ago and Tangents tutorials are excellent! I would start with small schematics and layouts like a c-moy or so...

best regards,
bearmann

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 12
I'll add to the agreement...
I designed my own Cmoy board with Eagle, the first version was terrible, then I learned and it came out fine.
Do an Eagle tutorial, definitely.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add to the agreement...
I designed my own Cmoy board with Eagle, the first version was terrible, then I learned and it came out fine.
Do an Eagle tutorial, definitely.

Same here, I started out with EAGLE. My first CMoy was a layout disaster. But I learned alot here & from Tangents tut vids!

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 12
I used to use protel but I recommend eagle because you can use it free

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just downloaded kicad today. It's good for linux or windows.

Kicad seems to be really interesting! Also I've just started with eagle, I'll give it a try... looks nice and open source always sweet.
wink.gif

Thanks for this hint, ezkcdude!
smily_headphones1.gif

good night and good luck.
bearmann

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by raikkonen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys, i'd like to try this eagle too, but does it convert a schematic to a layout?and are there footprints and models for all the components?

Converting the schematic to the layout is (generally) a manual process that you must perform. Eagle does give you useful tools to help with this though, such as a ratsnest showing what pads need to connect where and DRC checking to make sure you don't accidentally short two different signals and the like. The schematic and PCB layout are connected, but generally auto-routing and layout isn't successful (though it can be useful to draw those 30 IO traces to their output headers and the like).

Models are available for 'standard' components, but you may need to create them for many 'audio' parts. Standard footprints are readily available though, so rarely will you have to edit these.

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by raikkonen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there footprints and models for all the components?

EAGLE's stock library is extensive (much bigger than ExpressPCB's) but of course it doesn't include everything. You can download additional parts from CadSoft's web site, from my parts site and others. And if that's not enough, among my training videos is a 3-part series on creating your own. It's not an intuitive process, but after watching the videos, you'll find it's not all that difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back