PCB Cleaning?
Jan 6, 2002 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tanfenton

500+ Head-Fier
I'm newly aquainted with my Melos SHA-1, a 1995 model, but am looking for ways to keep it running smoothly for a long time to come.

How many of you are familiar with Caig DeoxIt? I have, up until now, only ever used it on RCA jacks. It works wonders here, let me tell you. Now, what I'm wondering is whether I could use this to remove the seven-years-worth of scudge on the SHAs circuit board, capacitors and all.

Dare I, or best not to tempt fate?

Tweakers, please, weigh in.

Regards,
NGF

Jan 6, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think you should do it.

Modern circuit boards are usually lamenated with a solder mask that covers all of the copper traces. So the "sluge" isn't oxidation on the copper...

If melos does not use a solder mask, i still woudn't do it- oxidation on the surface of the metal shouldn't interfere with the conductivity of the metal, and in fact, acts as a protective layer that prevents the metal underneath from oxidizing. If you remove the top layer of oxidation, then the "clean" copper will begin to oxidize immediately. Removing oxidation is only necessary on connectors, where the signal actually has to pass through the oxidized surface.

Then again, i'm not a tweeker, and nothing they do makes any sense to me

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 5
I have used Caig's CaiKleen 41 to clean the inside of a couple of different receivers. It worked pretty good. Probably removed about 20 years of filth out of a 25 year old receiver in one case. This is a Cleaner/Degreaser and may or may not be the appropriate product for this or for what you want to do.

To be safe you might want to go to their website and read up on what may be the correct formulation for your needs. Good luck.

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 5
You might also consider posting your question on the DIY Discussions board. I'm certain some of those guys could steer you in the right direction.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back