PC vs Mac
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #31 of 47
I like to build my own computers and take apart my laptops for it's PC for me... can't afford the Apple tax anyway... of course I type this while installing OSX86 on a Thinkpad.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to build my own computers and take apart my laptops for it's PC for me... can't afford the Apple tax anyway...

Apple laptops are either equally or less pricey comparing to other notebooks of comparable parameters, design and functionality (e.g. Vaio).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of course I type this while installing OSX86 on a Thinkpad.

OS X EULA clearly states that it can be installed only on Apple machines, so there's no need to boast about doing something illegal.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #33 of 47
No reason to buy a Mac whatsoever. Buy PC and get everything you need and more for same price or less. If you can build it yourself and don't mind spending a few weeks to hunt for deals, you can get a killer computer for fairly cheap.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Apple laptops are either equally or less pricey comparing to other notebooks of comparable parameters, design and functionality (e.g. Vaio).

Again, that's the wrong debate. It's not "how much does it cost for an equivalent machine", it's "how much does it cost to get a machine that does what I need". If a $500 PC does what I need but I can't get the level of performance I need with anything less than a Macbook Pro because of Apple's lack of offerings, Apples are hugely more expensive.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #37 of 47
I have first gen Mac Pro w/ 4 core, and I installed Windows 7 on it and happily been using it for every day task. I don't miss OSX and prob won't go back to it again for a while.

For me, the versatility of the pc, softwares, and movie playback is far superior than osx.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #39 of 47
I had been using my macbook as my sole computer for 3 years when I decided that I wanted a powerful desktop for video compression among other things. I really wanted to get a mac, because I had gotten used to it, but I ran into the same dilemma as the original poster. The mac desktops are either too expensive, or just not very good. So I built a windows 7 desktop and discovered that even though windows 7 is different than os x, it really is just as good. Some things I even like better about windows 7 than snow leopard and vice versa.

Now I'm actually looking for a new laptop. I shopped around a lot trying to find a windows laptop because I find its simpler to use just one operating system for everything. But really, the 13 and 14 inch pc laptops just don't have a lot of the conveniences of Apple laptops.

My point is that you are right about the mac desktops being underpowered. Build or buy yourself a pc. If you need a laptop in the future, then a mac may be the right way to go.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #40 of 47
For music and not as a primary workhorse desktop, the Mac Mini is what I got after very careful consideration. It is dead quiet, more than fast enough, tiny, has built in wifi and blue tooth and the software is fantastic. I was also impressed by what I saw of Windows 7, but no one built a PC which had the Mini's positive attributes. No small form computer will have a HD large enough for a large audio and video collection, so the size of the Mini's HD is irrelevant. I went with two quiet external HDs, with one as the back up drive.

The Mini plays movies and video via Quick Time and Front Row and you can get the tiny but effective Apple remote for $20.00. For my purpose, I went with the Mini and have not regretted it for a moment. I listen to music and play DVDs and video with it and the Mini does this with ease and great quality and convenience.

However, for games and the other uses which require massive memory and processing power, I would go with a PC with Windows 7. Such a computer is less expensive, more configurable and supported by more software than any Apple. I have no need for such a machine, but if you do, then a PC is the way to go.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, about gaming, as I told, I don't do it really often, but I don't own a big HD TV (actually, the only TV in my home is 21" old CRT TV
smily_headphones1.gif
) and that's why buying a console doesn't really work for me.
I don't want a notebook too, in the college I use $500 10" netbook and that's pretty enough. Obviously, MacBook Air is pretty cool, but well - it'd be scary to use it there.
wink.gif

I also like having a big screen. :p
The PowerMac as a dedicated service could be a way, but as I see these are pretty expensive here (like $600, which actually is the price of the used Mac Mini).
Well, about new model - I can wait, I'm not really in hurry, but knowing an Apple strategy - I've got a strange feeling these will still be based on Core2 processors.
But yeah, picking up girls for a Mac ("Hey, babe, wanna see my Mac?") is a HUUGE advantage.
biggrin.gif

If you get a used Power Mac or a new Mac mini (I'd actually side with the Mac mini as long as you don't mind external drives and such) and a nice 20"-24" widescreen LCD display that offers component and HDMI/DVI inputs and can double as an HD monitor for home theater use. That way you could hook up an outboard ATSC tuner or cable box. Also, if you use an Xbox 360 for gaming you can get a VGA cable for it and hook it up to your existing monitor. It scales to common computer monitor resolutions very well.

As for picking up girls, well, my wife scoffed at my Mac when I first met her. Then again, it was an aging G3 running an aging (P)OS (9).

Quote:

Movie playback, you say? Are there problems with playing movies on a Mac?

No real problems. It plays standard DVDs just fine, and an Intel Mac is a great way to run Boxee. If you want to look at more advanced DVD players like PowerDVD and are curious about Blu-ray playback on your computer, your best option is Windows right now.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get a used Power Mac or a new Mac mini (I'd actually side with the Mac mini as long as you don't mind external drives and such) and a nice 20"-24" widescreen LCD display that offers component and HDMI/DVI inputs and can double as an HD monitor for home theater use. That way you could hook up an outboard ATSC tuner or cable box. Also, if you use an Xbox 360 for gaming you can get a VGA cable for it and hook it up to your existing monitor. It scales to common computer monitor resolutions very well.

That's right, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No real problems. It plays standard DVDs just fine, and an Intel Mac is a great way to run Boxee. If you want to look at more advanced DVD players like PowerDVD and are curious about Blu-ray playback on your computer, your best option is Windows right now.

I actually thought about 1080p MKV file in H.264. I heard there were problems on a Macs with playing them and was wondering if it's ok now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

I actually thought about 1080p MKV file in H.264. I heard there were problems on a Macs with playing them and was wondering if it's ok now.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've played them on my 13" MacBook Pro with a 24" Dell connected to it without any problems
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For music and not as a primary workhorse desktop, the Mac Mini is what I got after very careful consideration. It is dead quiet, more than fast enough, tiny, has built in wifi and blue tooth and the software is fantastic. I was also impressed by what I saw of Windows 7, but no one built a PC which had the Mini's positive attributes. No small form computer will have a HD large enough for a large audio and video collection, so the size of the Mini's HD is irrelevant. I went with two quiet external HDs, with one as the back up drive.

The Mini plays movies and video via Quick Time and Front Row and you can get the tiny but effective Apple remote for $20.00. For my purpose, I went with the Mini and have not regretted it for a moment. I listen to music and play DVDs and video with it and the Mini does this with ease and great quality and convenience.

This is where I am as well. I know that I probably "should" get a mini and a monitor and use it as my media server and an intro into mac OS. This makes the most sense in terms of $ and my needs, and going with a refurb it is even cheaper. But man those Macbooks, especially the 15" Pros, are very sexy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back