PC vs Mac
Oct 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm going to buy a new desktop computer soon. I'm thinking about both PC and a Mac, but I can't really decide. I assume that Mac would be better for music (as iTunes is bit-perfect, it looks neat and doesn't have any plugins that has to be installed) and to web browsing, common office work. The thing is that iMac's hardware, well... sucks. I'm not really a gamer, but I like to play something from time to time. As I've counted, for a price of 24" iMac (C2D 3,06Ghz, HD4850, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD), I could buy a silent and stable PC with i7, HD5870, 2TB RAID 0 and 2TB RAID 1, 4GB RAM and 24" display. I have tried an OS X and I liked it a lot, but I'm not really convinced to pay this much for a Mac. I haven't tried a Windows 7 though, I'm still an XP user. Any ideas? Advantages and disadvantages of both?:p

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 47
There are plenty of solutions for Bitperfect output in Vista/7. Foobar2000 with WASAPI is one of the best computer audio setups in existence. I also prefer Windows for web browsing/common office work, but the difference is less profound there.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 47
I use both, and with ASIO support the only real difference I sense is in ergonomics. I've had numerous PC component failures over the years, and numerous iMac failures. I'd recommend under-spending on whatever you get and trading up within two years. That seems to be the survival rate of most of my machines, particularly iMacs.

To go on about ergonomics, the low profile of the iMac speaks for itself. I'd recommend that, just remember they're not meant to last forever. Especially under heavy use.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 47
I don't know why people use ASIO when WASAPI is also an option. The latter makes a noticeable difference in clarity, even if you're using onboard sound.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,
I'm going to buy a new desktop computer soon. I'm thinking about both PC and a Mac, but I can't really decide. I assume that Mac would be better for music (as iTunes is bit-perfect, it looks neat and doesn't have any plugins that has to be installed) and to web browsing, common office work. The thing is that iMac's hardware, well... sucks. I'm not really a gamer, but I like to play something from time to time. As I've counted, for a price of 24" iMac (C2D 3,06Ghz, HD4850, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD), I could buy a silent and stable PC with i7, HD5870, 2TB RAID 0 and 2TB RAID 1, 4GB RAM and 24" display. I have tried an OS X and I liked it a lot, but I'm not really convinced to pay this much for a Mac. I haven't tried a Windows 7 though, I'm still an XP user. Any ideas? Advantages and disadvantages of both?:p

Wow where can you get an HD5870 right now??

Kidding aside, the two computers you're comparing kinda fill two different categories. One is a desktop and the other is an all in one. I know apple doesn't have an actual desktop (MP is more server...) so the comparison is logical, but at the same time they shouldn't really be compared like that.

Unless you want an all in one you should go with the PC tower. Like you said, the spec differences are kinda ridiculous. I've used windows 7 a bit, used the beta some way back at my internship and the past two weeks or so by getting it from the engineering department here. It's a really nice OS. I would say it's a refined and much more intuitive Vista (I do like Vista though too). To be fair, I run OSX 75% of the time so just because I say W7 is nice doesn't mean I think it's better than OSX.

Other random ideas:
-instead of a 2TB RAID0, I'd opt for an SSD boot/apps drive
-6GB might make more sense with the triple channel i7.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kidding aside, the two computers you're comparing kinda fill two different categories. One is a desktop and the other is an all in one. I know apple doesn't have an actual desktop (MP is more server...) so the comparison is logical, but at the same time they shouldn't really be compared like that.

Unless you want an all in one you should go with the PC tower. Like you said, the spec differences are kinda ridiculous. I've used windows 7 a bit, used the beta some way back at my internship and the past two weeks or so by getting it from the engineering department here. It's a really nice OS. I would say it's a refined and much more intuitive Vista (I do like Vista though too). To be fair, I run OSX 75% of the time so just because I say W7 is nice doesn't mean I think it's better than OSX.

Other random ideas:
-instead of a 2TB RAID0, I'd opt for an SSD boot/apps drive
-6GB might make more sense with the triple channel i7.

I haven't told I'm going to buy it right now. I can wait for release of both HD58xx and GT300.
smily_headphones1.gif
I would buy 6GB if I had enough cash, not sure about it - DDR3 are still pretty expensive. And about SSDs, the price is what matters the most. 128GB SSD costs like four 1TB HDDs and well, I like to have enough space.
And about WASAPI, does it work with any other player than foobar?

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought the HD 5870/5850 are already available now?

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 47
You can get bit-perfect audio out of either platform. You can't get cheap hardware from Apple, but you can get Apple-level hardware in a PC. It really comes down to Windows vs. OSX, not PC vs Mac. I have both in the house. I only use the PC when the Mac is unavailable. I like OSX, and the software developed for it, much better. YMMV.

Tim

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get bit-perfect audio out of either platform. You can't get cheap hardware from Apple, but you can get Apple-level hardware in a PC. It really comes down to Windows vs. OSX, not PC vs Mac. I have both in the house. I only use the PC when the Mac is unavailable. I like OSX, and the software developed for it, much better. YMMV.

Tim

Indeed, that's why I'm asking if the software is worth 3 times more than a hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, that's why I'm asking if the software is worth 3 times more than a hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if iTunes is worth 3 times as much as Media Monkey; I've never used Media Monkey. I can testify, however, that OSX is worth much more than 3 times Windows. MHO. YMMV. etc etc...

P

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 47
I'm a Mac
smily_headphones1.gif

Not for the hardware in particular, though my 15" MacBook Pro is a nice computer in its own right and I paid pretty much what a Dell would have cost me, but it's just so much more pleasant to use and look at than windows ever was.

Maybe 7 will be better. But I just find my macs to be so much nicer to use.

the 24" iMac is worth it on the display alone. A third party display of that quality will run you $450 just for the monitor. I'd wait if you're thinking about buying, new iMacs are coming soon and should have i7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back