PC, using USB to external DAC.
Apr 26, 2016 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stvn758

100+ Head-Fier
It just occurred to me, when you connect your PC to your expensive external DAC via USB does the internal sound card play any part in the process, is it the inbuilt audio chip - usual realtek, Windows 10 basic drivers?

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 9
  It just occurred to me, when you connect your PC to your expensive external DAC via USB does the internal sound card play any part in the process, is it the inbuilt audio chip - usual realtek, Windows 10 basic drivers?

No, the DAC is basically functioning as a second sound card independently of the on-board card in that case.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 9

No, the DAC is basically functioning as a second sound card independently of the on-board card in that case.

But does the sound from whatever I'm playing on my media player go through the sound card first on it's way to the exterior DAC. 

My MDAC appears in the Windows sound section, is this the sound card DAC sending the song to it, if that makes sense. 

My Audigy X-Fi has toslink out, wonder how that would sound connected. 

Found this..

https://www.quietpc.com/sotm-tx-usbexp

Looks interesting, see if there is a new one still made.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 9

Audio devices connected to the Windows PC's USB ports will bypass the sound card and it's features.
An external audio device using an optical connection will work with the sound card and it's features.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 9
@stvn758 you could also connect MDAC input to your onboard sound card output using 3ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Male. You would then select sound card device for playback in windows. I then plug my headset into out put on DAC. I have noticed a better overall audio improvement versus what I experience when only using USB DAC connection for playback. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 9
  @stvn758 you could also connect MDAC input to your onboard sound card output using 3ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Male. You would then select sound card device for playback in windows. I then plug my headset into out put on DAC. I have noticed a better overall audio improvement versus what I experience when only using USB DAC connection for playback. 

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Pretty sure I have some of those, bought some extender cables for my Creative speakers, they're 3.5mm.

I know my sound card has a digital out at the rear. At the moment I use a Toslink Optical to Coax converter that needs to be plugged into the mains for my third CD player, makes use of one of the MDAC's coax connectors. 

In no hurry, just assumed a proper sound card would have less jitter and send a better quality signal to my MDAC than vanilla windows tech.

May 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 9

This is some pretty lousy advice here. 3.5mm cable usually carries analog audio, although it can carry digital if it's an optical cable terminated with special/rare 3.5mm optical connectors. If you use ordinary copper cable with 3.5mm, you have just made the external MDAC completely pointless. You don't mention whether you are talking about digital or analog audio from the internal soundcard.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Pretty sure I have some of those, bought some extender cables for my Creative speakers, they're 3.5mm.

I know my sound card has a digital out at the rear. At the moment I use a Toslink Optical to Coax converter that needs to be plugged into the mains for my third CD player, makes use of one of the MDAC's coax connectors. 

In no hurry, just assumed a proper sound card would have less jitter and send a better quality signal to my MDAC than vanilla windows tech.

No, proper soundcard does not necessarily have less jitter or better quality signal. Jitter is pretty pointless to worry about anyway, since all modern dacs have jitter reduction sections, which reduce jitter well below remotely audible levels.
You can safely disable the internal soundcard in the BIOS to make things easier. That way there will be no programs sending sound to the internal sound card by accident, leaving you wondering why you don't hear anything from your usb dac.
If you want the best quality sound from the usb dac, you should use the usb connection and look into using WASAPI exclusive mode to send audio to the dac, supported for example by foobar2000 with its WASAPI output plugin. This way it will bypass the internal Windows sample rate converter. If you use ordinary DirectX sound to send audio the dac, your most likely letting Windows resample the stream most of the time, mainly to be able to play audio streams from multiple programs at once. You will loose this ability if you choose to use WASAPI exclusive mode. There's plenty of information about this available on the web.
You can use an optical connection to the dac, from your soundcard, which will also work fine if you use your soundcard with WASAPI exclusive mode. If you want to play higher resolution than 24/96, you need usb or proper coax without optical to coax conversion.

May 27, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks.  I just bought a new Soundblaster sound card from Scan off eBay - an unfortunate collision of 10x nectar points and 5% extra at TopCashBack this weekend, then I remembered this thread I started.
blink.gif

It's a new Skylake build and it's still in boxes, I'll give the foobar2000 with its WASAPI output plugin a go, check about switching off the onboard sound in BIOS. It's an Audiolab MDAC so it's a pretty good DAC, and my new Sennheiser HD800's, wanted to try some hi-rez audio on my PC and see what the fuss (or lack of) was about.

I have 5.1 speakers I use sometimes and it's a really nice looking sound card and will look great glowing through the side window, ha, not a complete loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back