PC trouble w/ audio distortion/crackling randomly
May 11, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 20
Fair enough about the price for some of them. Looks like the specific ones I looked at were more expensive.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-use-a-cheater-plug-safely

There are entire countries that aren't grounded, you know.
I won't pretend to have visited every country in the world but you are convoluting the topic at hand.

This is where appliance classes comes in, furthermore, you may just assume all two pin plugs aren't grounded which is incorrect.

May 12, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 20
richruzz, have you resolved this? I was wondering if it is an overload on the digital feed. I have experienced this on Apple TV if I feed the sound to an external amp system, the signal can get amplified above 0dB which in digital terms is suicide. The result is a nasty crackle louder than the music itself. Maybe check your levels at the source, and attenuate it back a bit?

I'm not running high sound levels or anything, and it's not a loud crackle it's just subtle almost pops and crinkles sometimes more frequent sometimes not.

May 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #18 of 20
People really know nothing of electrical engineering and give out advice freely. Shame.

Do not use a cheater plug indefinitely. In a last resort, you can lift your ground to see if that alleviates the issue.

What should have been recommended is an isolation transformer or a ground loop isolator.

How does a ground loop isolator or isolation transformer work? Just want to try options and see if anything helps, once again it's not a loud or crazy crackle but it's VERY annoying since it pops and crinkles and takes away from audio and especially gaming where you're getting these little sprinkles of pops every so often.

May 12, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #19 of 20
How does a ground loop isolator or isolation transformer work? Just want to try options and see if anything helps, once again it's not a loud or crazy crackle but it's VERY annoying since it pops and crinkles and takes away from audio and especially gaming where you're getting these little sprinkles of pops every so often.
Cut DC noise.

May 12, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #20 of 20

If you have a laptop for testing, try and see if you get pops using battery mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back