PC trouble w/ audio distortion/crackling randomly
Apr 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

richruzz

New Head-Fier
I've tried an Asus Essence STX II, Creative ZXR, my DT 990s with each, and newly ordered HD 650s (not sure I actually like them if anyone has a suggestions on a solid pair for gaming but can do decent/good audio also) Even with onboard and trying all of the above I get a weird crackle, or pop... sometimes which is the issue and certain times it's worse and more "poppy" or crackling than others every once in a while or much more time between when it happens. (only happens when there is audio and only certain types of sounds I believe)

Is there anything external I could connect to my ZXR to go with my headphones that could avoid if there is internal interference from my motherboard or GPU or other parts inside? (I have a 1080 Ti, 6700k, and a ASUS HERO VIII so not sure if those parts could be causing the disturbance and I've reformatted and tried many different drivers on my path to insanity)

Would an external DAC be something to look into, or an AMP/combo? Not sure what makes the most sense at this point or if anyone thinks it can avoid or bypass if it's interference issues. (also using such a combo would it make my soundcard worthless? I do think some features come in well for reproducing gaming audio and wasn't sure if running it through them was feasable or it'd be a USB solution)

Anyways any help would be majorly appreciated on opinions on this either. (and of course any headphone advice would be appreciated too.. as mentioned not really liking the new HD 650s I've received)

May 5, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 20
Still having trouble figuring this all out, at worst anyone have a good headphone suggestion that would go okay with a Soundblaster ZXR? (primarily gaming w/ also being decent/good at music hopefully)

And if anyone has an opinion on ways around the audio crackle/pop/interference distortion.

May 7, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 20
One potential solution is to put a cheater plug on your computer's power cable.

Hmm I can look this up what would that entail? And I've tried this with 2 different PSUs, multiple soundcards, onboard, and different sets of headphones and it still pops and crackles during games and just general usage when sounds play. (like a crackle and pop not constant but happens quite a bit that it's noticeable)

But all the outlets in this room are grounded which is weird... bar I've done full reformats and such so don't know what else it could be. (as mentioned different cards, drivers, onboard, tried everything and it still has that crackle pop)

Would buying an external DAC possibly avoid this or being able to run it through my soundcard? (then would I need a headphone amp too? -_-)

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Hmm I can look this up what would that entail? And I've tried this with 2 different PSUs, multiple soundcards, onboard, and different sets of headphones and it still pops and crackles during games and just general usage when sounds play. (like a crackle and pop not constant but happens quite a bit that it's noticeable)

But all the outlets in this room are grounded which is weird... bar I've done full reformats and such so don't know what else it could be. (as mentioned different cards, drivers, onboard, tried everything and it still has that crackle pop)

Would buying an external DAC possibly avoid this or being able to run it through my soundcard? (then would I need a headphone amp too? -_-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

That fixed one computer noise issue I was having. But it may not be the solution for you. You just have to try and see.

If you get an external DAC, you will also need an amp for headphones unless it's a DAC/amp, in which case it also includes an amp.

May 10, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 20
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

That fixed one computer noise issue I was having. But it may not be the solution for you. You just have to try and see.

If you get an external DAC, you will also need an amp for headphones unless it's a DAC/amp, in which case it also includes an amp.

Would a DAC/amp combo avoid any internal parts interference? (also would I have any point to even have my SBZ that I can run them through it?)

And yeah, all my outlets on this floor are grounded which is weird :/ But there's a definite crinkle esque audio at times.

And I do appreciate the advice and suggestions, otherwise also any suggestions on a runner up to my DT 990s for gaming? Looking to buy a new pair that's solid for gaming but also do well if listening to music. (with moreso an emphasis on usage for gaming)

May 10, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 20
Would a DAC/amp combo avoid any internal parts interference? (also would I have any point to even have my SBZ that I can run them through it?)

And yeah, all my outlets on this floor are grounded which is weird :/ But there's a definite crinkle esque audio at times.

Please be more specific about what you are asking. (Internal parts interference and SBZ are too vague.)

So did you try the cheater plug?

May 10, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 20
Please be more specific about what you are asking. (Internal parts interference and SBZ are too vague.)

So did you try the cheater plug?

I'll order one from Amazon then, any particular suggestion? Just weird since I've tried direct through outlet and through a surge protector. Just wish it was that easy to solve this, but doubt it would be haha.

And I think there's just some weird interference in my PC causing my audio to be crinkly cause it happened with onboard, an Essence STX II, and a SB ZXR all the same crinkle and pop during games, music, etc. Just been trying to figure out ways around it or how I could go about fixing it. (not drivers or anything either have clean reformatted a bunch of times)

May 10, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 20
I'll order one from Amazon then, any particular suggestion? Just weird since I've tried direct through outlet and through a surge protector. Just wish it was that easy to solve this, but doubt it would be haha.

And I think there's just some weird interference in my PC causing my audio to be crinkly cause it happened with onboard, an Essence STX II, and a SB ZXR all the same crinkle and pop during games, music, etc. Just been trying to figure out ways around it or how I could go about fixing it. (not drivers or anything either have clean reformatted a bunch of times)

Yes, the reason I recommend trying a cheater plug first is because I had a similar problem and the cheater plug fixed it. You don't need to get anything fancy; just the cheapest one that would do the job should be good enough. The one I use is one I've had for so many years I forgot about it until the issue came up.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 20
Does this only happen with gaming or all the time?

May 11, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 20
People really know nothing of electrical engineering and give out advice freely. Shame.

Do not use a cheater plug indefinitely. In a last resort, you can lift your ground to see if that alleviates the issue.

What should have been recommended is an isolation transformer or a ground loop isolator.

May 11, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 20
People really know nothing of electrical engineering and give out advice freely. Shame.

Do not use a cheater plug indefinitely. In a last resort, you can lift your ground to see if that alleviates the issue.

What should have been recommended is an isolation transformer or a ground loop isolator.

Well, I know it's not the best long-term solution, but it's something cheap to start with to see if it fixes it. The problem with the other solutions is they're not cheap, so they're harder to recommend. Some of the safety issues associated with cheater plugs don't apply to computers anyway.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Well, I know it's not the best long-term solution, but it's something cheap to start with to see if it fixes it. The problem with the other solutions is they're not cheap, so they're harder to recommend. Some of the safety issues associated with cheater plugs don't apply to computers anyway.
Sigh. No. Wrong. There are ground isolators as affordable as cheater plugs.

Wrong. Lifting the ground applies to all electronics.

May 11, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 20

And I do appreciate the advice and suggestions, otherwise also any suggestions on a runner up to my DT 990s for gaming? Looking to buy a new pair that's solid for gaming but also do well if listening to music. (with moreso an emphasis on usage for gaming)

richruzz, have you resolved this? I was wondering if it is an overload on the digital feed. I have experienced this on Apple TV if I feed the sound to an external amp system, the signal can get amplified above 0dB which in digital terms is suicide. The result is a nasty crackle louder than the music itself. Maybe check your levels at the source, and attenuate it back a bit?

May 11, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back