PC Speakers to fill a room with sound.
Apr 15, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
I would stay away from the audio engine A5's.  I heard a pair of polks in a display room and everything is nicer on them(cleaner, no oscillations).  The a5's have this wonky horrible sound to them with bass I would compare with beats audio, boomy with no real character.

When you say 'no real character' are you also saying 'more accurate'? I'm guessing not, so there must be a distinction between the two 'characteristics'

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 19

Quote:

When you say 'no real character' are you also saying 'more accurate'? I'm guessing not, so there must be a distinction between the two 'characteristics'

No character as in not being able to distinguish what instrument made the noise is probably what he means  That result from a loss of harmonic detail, a focus on the fundemental frequency which is augmented by resonance of the drive system, hense sounding boomy.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #18 of 19
A widely dispersing speaker that "fills the room with sound" runs the real risk of being a speaker whose sound is largely the reflected sound from the room, and whose stereo image and frequency response may be sub-optimal or inaccurate because of it.

Sorry to bump this. But would basic acoustic treatment fix this? What is really meant by filling a large room? As I read people saying Monitors for a Home theatre is not good. I cant help but think that even though my monitors seem to go loud enough to easily fill a large room, loudness from small speakers wont sound as good as large speakers both at the same perceived volume.

If filling is also defined by a subwoofer, well for my tastes this is cheating. I just hate the sound of them completely. And find the bass unacceptable.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #19 of 19
Sorry to bump this. But would basic acoustic treatment fix this? What is really meant by filling a large room? As I read people saying Monitors for a Home theatre is not good. I cant help but think that even though my monitors seem to go loud enough to easily fill a large room, loudness from small speakers wont sound as good as large speakers both at the same perceived volume.

The potential of a setup to produce room filling sound for HT usage is a factor of things like the size of the room, the room acoustics, the distance one is sitting from the speakers, the frequency response range of the speakers, the sensitivity of the speakers, the dynamics of the speakers, the soundstage characteristics of the speakers, and the amount of amplifier power.

If filling is also defined by a subwoofer, well for my tastes this is cheating. I just hate the sound of them completely. And find the bass unacceptable.

Sounds like you might not have ever heard a good subwoofer properly integrated into an HT (or music) setup. But it ain't cheap, and most people under spend on a subwoofer that is not an equivalent SQ match for the rest of their setup. Plus, for HT usage, speakers alone just don't cut it. There's tons of low frequency content that speakers can't produce as well and even at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back