PC Speakers (of the kinda budget but not tin-can variety)
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sebasistan

100+ Head-Fier
My PC has been without actual speakers for a bit, and as much as I love me headphones for sound, it's getting a bit annoying over time.

So now I've been looking into what PC speakers I could hook up here. After a day's worth of researching, hemming and hawwing, I have kinda zeroed in on these two:

Presonius Eris 3.5 near field monitor

Edifier R1280T

Now, I've looked at the unhappy customer reviews on Amazon, and both have some people who say they prefer the other - or something even more obscure - because of perceived lacks of sound quality.

Also Presonius seems to have some QA issues and bad customer service. Apparently, judging by the reviews.

Generally, I want to get a pair of speakers, no 2.1 or surround sound. My budget limit is $150. And from what I could find in terms of reviews, these two SEEM like the best candidates. But I'm not sure.

Ideas? Experiences? Let me know.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 9
I would go for the edifier R1280DB for the digital inputs and bluetooth

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 9
I did read someone compare them and coming out preferring the RT. I don't really NEED the bluetooth and digital (now).

Oh I should add: I would IDEALLY want these to be powered speakers that I can feed from my ifi ZEN DAC (or MAYBE my One Little Bear...).
So the speakers in question should have RCA in.

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 9
I have no experience with those. I’ve used Klipsch R51-PM’s they sounded great near field. Lots of input options. The R41 are cheaper but I think similar.

it is frustrating, almost anything sold in large numbers on Amazon has conflicting reviews, most love but ten percent or so say it is junk.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 9
The R1280DB amd E3.5 probably sound completely different. Edifier are hifi speakers while Presonus are studio speakers. I really like the E3.5 for their price. Very clear, detailed and bass is not bad for their size. They sound best when listening near. Also the sound changes a lot when changing position.

I havent heard these edifiers but most are bass heavy with little detail.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 9
My two cents: Edifier R1100 (<US$100)/ HiFimeDIY USB Sabre DAC (US$30)/ Netbook Asus. These speakers are the same Edifier R1280, without the fancy controls. The speakers are placed nearfield on my desk, with a 23" monitor between them, and very close to the wall (they are front ported), in order to boost the bass. The bass control of the speakers is turned all the way down. To my ears this setup sound better than before, with a pair of Audioengine a2. I like specially the sound-stage !

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 9
I should update this by saying I got the Edifier R1280 on Prime Day at a discount. And I am pretty happy with how they sound hooked up to my Ele EL-01 Mini + Nobsound Little Bear P10.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 9
We have two pairs of the Edifiers at home and they are fantastic for the money, especially if you find them on a deal. I bought them through AliExpress directly from Edifier, who shipped them from Spain to Belgium in less than 5 days. At the time of purchase I paid little more that the cost of 1 pair for the 2 pairs!

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 9
How's 20 bucks? These won't win any awards in SQ, but they're really good for general PC use. Not that obtrusive, either, so it's a good option when listening to music during work hours:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791J2658/ref=twister_B07DNFCRJH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I linked the V2 because you mentioned not needing BT (which would realistically save you 10 bucks). That being said, I know nothing else about what changed from v2 to v3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back