pc sound to av receiver
Nov 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Yviena

100+ Head-Fier
Hi i just got myself a Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker knowing music and movies will sound much better with these than my cheapo onboard/creative speakers.

And just had a epiphany that i have no idea how to get my av receiver to playback all my songs stored on the hdd without burning them all and switching each time. So just wondering anyone know how to get this to play my lists from foobar/wasapi ??

ps.. does anyone know if a soundcard will benefit with a a receiver or will it just bypass it ?

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 3
Option one.
Run HDMI from your computer's graphics card to the Onkyo receiver, then run HDMI from the receiver to you monitor/TV.
Best choice for Blu-ray movies.

Option two.
Run S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) from your motherboard's S/PDIF output to the Onkyo.
Cheap, only the cost of the cable, $10

Option three.
Get a good external DAC to run from your computer's digital output ports (USB, optical, coaxial) to the RCA analog input jacks on the Onkyo.
Good for music audio, but 2-channel audio feed.

Use Foobar2000 on the computer for playing audio (music) files.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
ps.. does anyone know if a soundcard will benefit with a a receiver or will it just bypass it ?

+1 to what PurpleAngel said about your different options above. You could run analog out to your receiver with an adapter, but most computer motherboard analog audio is not that good. Better to run digital to the receiver. When you use optical out or HDMI out from your computer to your receiver, your receiver will be bypassing the sound card and using it's own DAC to process the sound. So no benefit in getting another sound card if one of those two options are available. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back