pc shopping list
Nov 13, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewWinters
You cannot use the Zalman 7000 on a Socket A CPU - it is for S754/939/940 - it uses a totally different (better) mounting system.

You're thinking of the new 7700. The original 7000 was for Socket 478 (P4) and Socket 754/939/940 (A64) only, but the revised 7000A and 7000Bfits Socket 462/Socket A (AXP and Durons) as well.

Not the easiest thing to install on the socket, and I'd say kind of overkill for that Duron, but it'll work.

A CNPS-6000 really might be a better choice - it certain installs much more easily on a Socket A processor.

~KS

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 42
For a HD you should look into the Western Digital WD2000JB. 200GB with 8MB buffer, its got plenty of space while making little noise, and it comes highly recommended around the web. At newegg, its $19 and 40GB more than the seagate (Newegg item# N82E16822144129)

As far as the motherboard, Id look into getting the NF7, not the NF7-S. The added features to the -S are a better onboard sound chip (which you wont be using), Serial ATA (another thing it doesnt seem like youre using), and built in Firewire. Might as well save a few bucks while losing nothing youre using.

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regus
It IS garbage, but atleast for my 1.2GHz it does the job perfectly... silent and cool enough and it is cheap what more could you ask for? :)

good to know

Nov 13, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i totally agree. i'm not sure where you got the "hp" from

HP = hewlett packard , a computer retailer like dell or toshiba

Underclocking can make your pc dead silent too! E.g. nero drive speed can limit cd/dvd reading to 1x for your drive. Imagine the difference. Same thing for cpu etc.

I recently discoverd a quiet/preformance/auto setting for IDE drives in my bios. Anybody know if this is advisable?

Nov 13, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 42
I wouldn't get a wireless keyboard solution, hassle with recharging batteries and mouse is remarkabily slower.

Maybe get a second western digital (200gb)
One for music, video... (FLAC takes space), other for XP etc. Radeon cards are great, get a 9600 or higher.

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conraed
I wouldn't get a wireless keyboard solution, hassle with recharging batteries and mouse is remarkabily slower.

A wireless solution seems like a much better idea than running wires across a room. I would recommend the keyboard/mouse MX combo offered by Logitech. The rechargeable batteries for the keyboard do get to be a pain, but the mouse has a recharging station, and the performance is no different from any wired units.

EDIT: Just realized the MX combo is $100, little out of your range, but im sure with some research you could find a quality combo for less.

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMonky
A wireless solution seems like a much better idea than running wires across a room. I would recommend the keyboard/mouse MX combo offered by Logitech. The rechargeable batteries for the keyboard do get to be a pain, but the mouse has a recharging station, and the performance is no different from any wired units.

EDIT: Just realized the MX combo is $100, little out of your range, but im sure with some research you could find a quality combo for less.

the thought is that i'd be able to shuffle songs sitting in my chair looking directly at my tv. that's the reason for the wireless. logitech is my brand of choice

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Maybe get a second western digital (200gb)
One for music, video... (FLAC takes space), other for XP etc. Radeon cards are great, get a 9600 or higher.

160 gb is plenty for me. my entire music library is less than 40gb FLAC right now, so i don't need another hd

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

HP = hewlett packard , a computer retailer like dell or toshiba

Underclocking can make your pc dead silent too! E.g. nero drive speed can limit cd/dvd reading to 1x for your drive. Imagine the difference. Same thing for cpu etc.

I recently discoverd a quiet/preformance/auto setting for IDE drives in my bios. Anybody know if this is advisable?

i know what hp is. there's just a number of reasons to build it myself. what is nero? got to talk newbie-language with me

Nov 14, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
You're thinking of the new 7700. The original 7000 was for Socket 478 (P4) and Socket 754/939/940 (A64) only, but the revised 7000A and 7000Bfits Socket 462/Socket A (AXP and Durons) as well.

Not the easiest thing to install on the socket, and I'd say kind of overkill for that Duron, but it'll work.

A CNPS-6000 really might be a better choice - it certain installs much more easily on a Socket A processor.

~KS

My bad, I didn't realize they had changed it.... at any rate, it is WAY overkill for a Duron. You'd be better off spending 10 or 15 bucks on the cooler and the rest elsewhere.

Nov 14, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewWinters
My bad, I didn't realize they had changed it.... at any rate, it is WAY overkill for a Duron. You'd be better off spending 10 or 15 bucks on the cooler and the rest elsewhere.

gotcha. i just need it to be silent. someone reccommended "spreeze". any other thoughts for a quiet fan for the duron?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back