pc rts suggestions please
Oct 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

yousufb12

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I am looking for a strategy game to get while i wait for ac3...I all the command and conquer games except tiberium wars and tiberium twilight...i also liked age of empires and mythology, rise of nations....i need suggestions for games preferably one that isn't tooo futuristic....and i hate games in which your resources constantly drop, the rate at which it drops increasing with the more units you have.
Thank you

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 16
Cossacks Back to War is a great old school rts. There is a newer version that is a bit different. Cossacks 2 if I don´t remember wrong but haven´t played that much.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 16
Company of Heroes or the Dawn of War series. Dawn of War is futuristic though and Company of Heroes is similar, but based in WWII.

Amazing games.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Cossacks Back to War is a great old school rts. There is a newer version that is a bit different. Cossacks 2 if I don´t remember wrong but haven´t played that much.

hmm i played cossacks but i remember the resources kept falling....you start off with 1k of all resources and then have to keep collecting to keep it there or it will go to....the thing with me is i start of defensive and grow an army then attack and thats not good when resources are falling...thanks though

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
hmm i played cossacks but i remember the resources kept falling....you start off with 1k of all resources and then have to keep collecting to keep it there or it will go to....the thing with me is i start of defensive and grow an army then attack and thats not good when resources are falling...thanks though

I didn´t have such problem with resources. You have to build mines and all that of course then it grows. Are you looking for rts that has no economic simulation whatsoever. Then maybe company of heroes Acts of War and the likes is what you are after that only do the tactical side?

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 16
Seems like he's looking for a massive amount of units though. That was his comment about Dawn of War.

Quote:

I didn´t have such problem with resources. You have to build mines and all that of course then it grows. Are you looking for rts that has no economic simulation whatsoever. Then maybe company of heroes Acts of War and the likes is what you are after that only do the tactical side?

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

its not that i dont want any economic simulation...i just dont like the fact that when you aren't using the resources  they fall anyway

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 16
+1 Company of Heroes

The single player mission was actually pretty incredible, I remember ****ting in my pants while setting up a defensive position with some limited available resources to repel a German counter-attack. The timer was counting down, and once I was done, all I could do was hope n pray that my lines would hold. I was being totally overrun but survived until my reinforcements showed up....and then u get to control the reinforcements!! BADASS GAME!

The multiplayer was fun too, but its been awhile. I think they have some expansion packs that are newer and maybe have more guys online. 

Also, the game was modded to a modern day setting...US vs China here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/company-of-heroes-modern-combat

....pretty popular I think >:)

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 16
Have you tried the original Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth game?  I really liked it, though that could be partially that I played it when I was 12 and it is just nostalgia...  btw, the 1-player campaign is awesome.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 16
never tried civilizations...ill add that to my list thanks...loved starcraft but didnt like the "you can only play it when you have internet " thing for starcraft 2

There is a whole new world for you to explore in CIV =)
i also recommend you to try out latest Settlers games, of course they are not true RTS titles, but i think that they deserve a try

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 16
The Command & Conquer series... unit spam all you want without worrying about an army size penalty to your resources. It's actually one of the highlights of the series compared to other RTS series. The games in the Red Alert sub-series aren't too modern.

The Kohan games are a squad based RTS. It has a fantasy setting but it doesn't have any special resource penalty for massive armies.

The Warlords: Battlecry series is another fantasy RTS that doesn't care how many units you want to field so long as you can pay their initial cost. There are three of these games.

King Arthur the Role Playing Wargame may or may not suit your tastes. It's like the Total War series in that you don't build bases but march armies across the map Risk-style. When they fight, it's done RTS-style.

Personally, I liked Warcraft 3's army size penalty to resources. It kept things strategic and less focused on unit spam. But I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

EDIT: I see you've gone through the C&C and AoE games already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back