pc remote
Nov 15, 2004 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
do any of you guys use ir pc remote controls? i was thinking of a wireless keyboard, but just getting a standard keyboard and a wireless remote would be much better, i think.

i was looking at a niveus one. any thoughts y'all?

Nov 15, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 12
it would have to work with foobar. then again, maybe it wouldn't be worth it. i was just thinking that a wireless keyboard would be bulky and anoying, but it would probably be easier to scroll through a bunch of songs

Nov 15, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 12
I started out using an ATI RF Remote and frankly it sucked.

now i user a wireless trackball and keyboard (chose one that looks like it belongs)

The keyboard really isn't necesary it is nice but not necesary.

The trackball makes for a much better experience than the remote ever did.

Of course you can use a remote if you have some software specially designed to work well with a remote but without such software remotes are IMHO not very convinsing

The remote is good for play, stop, pause and skip unfortunatly there is more to music on a pc than those four functions and it really doesn't do a good job with those.

Such is my experience anyway...

Nov 15, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 12
I use the Audigy2 IR remote. It rather sucks since you have to have a direct line of sight for it to work. But it's easy to program it with foobar and a ton of other apps/events with Intelliremote (freeware).

Nov 15, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 12
or you could use Girder and a diy/bought remote.

Girder will let you control/program almost anything on your pc and you can also download other peoples configs if you dont want to do your own.

Girder

I used to use Girder and a IR receiver similar to this: Ebay remote . You can use any remote control you want to program Girder.

Edit: Just clicked the Girder link and realised it is no longer freeware. Im sure there are old versions floating about the internet.

Nov 15, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 12
I use a setup very similar to the one proposed by damitamit. A cheap and simple USB-dongle infrared receiver, one of those dirt-cheap preprogrammed remotes that can control tons of devices and Girder. That way I can control my TV and the PC with the same remote. And I gotta say that the USB-dongle was one of the cheapest yet most useful things I've ever bought for my PC. It's extremely convenient to have a remote for the most common tasks when watching movies or foobaring
rs1smile.gif

One disadvantage of Girder is that I found it a little complex to set up as it is quite powerful. OTOH there are also a lot of plugins for Girder that let you do even more cool stuff. I only use pretty basic functions though.

Nov 15, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regus
now i user a wireless trackball and keyboard (chose one that looks like it belongs)

Which one do you use? I have one from Fentek (http://www.fentek-ind.com/wireless.htm#kbmwtb) but it was a little pricey, the layout is not so good, and the trackball is a little junky.

The upside is that the wireless part does work, the keyboard is small, and it thus makes an okay remote. My TV has DVI input, so my computer is just hooked up as another component.

-d

Nov 15, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Which one do you use? I have one from Fentek (http://www.fentek-ind.com/wireless.htm#kbmwtb) but it was a little pricey, the layout is not so good, and the trackball is a little junky.

I use a cheapo from labtec - they have a silver one with black keys (comes with a crap mouse which i tossed) This one

The keyboard layout and feel is ok i wouldn't use it for serious work but it is perfect for what i got it for (audio/video playback and surfing)

For track ball i got a Logitec Track Man II.

I would have loved a keyboard in pollished wood but hey...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 12
This infrared keyboard is highly regarded for it's ergonomics at AVS Forum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I own one and I like it's ergonomics. The only complaint I have is that keyboard strokes aren't quite as crisp as they could be.

P. S. - I think they've got a stash of those keyboards, so with patience, I think you should be able to get one at about their minimum bid.

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 12
perhaps i'll just get a wired keyboard and mouse. how long are those keyboard cords? i'm serious, i've been using a laptop since the dawn of time

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
perhaps i'll just get a wired keyboard and mouse. how long are those keyboard cords? i'm serious, i've been using a laptop since the dawn of time

Too short
smily_headphones1.gif

Or to be more precise it varies but don't expect much more than 4'
I think you are likely to regret getting wired stuff but of course it depends on how you plan on setting up your system - and how big the room is supose...

As for the reacts slowly comment, I doubt seriously you will notice unless you plan on playing Counter Strike professionally or doing CAD with ungodly speed.

And the wireless product do come at very reasonable prices these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back