PC MKIII USB or Bithead '06
Jul 24, 2006 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Chef Medeski

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to use this with my Apple laptop and my ipod. Like portability and battery life. I have a set of ER-4S and Grado HF-1s, so been in desperate need of an amp, but don't want to break $250 and would rather have a DAC built in if I'm going to spend that much. So, any comparisons, sound quality? Features?

Anyone have an opinion?

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
I want to use this with my Apple laptop and my ipod. Like portability and battery life. I have a set of ER-4S and Grado HF-1s, so been in desperate need of an amp, but don't want to break $250 and would rather have a DAC built in if I'm going to spend that much. So, any comparisons, sound quality? Features?

Anyone have an opinion?

Chef, you're a Total Bithead man if ever I met one. Spend the $199, and it'll be perfect for your situation. (I should know, it works in mine, and it's the same as yours.)

And you'll like that new gain switch in the 2006TBH. It'll let you use both your headphones with no problems.

Jul 26, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanatos
Which BitHead looks cooler--clear or black?

Black, less chance of attracting attention and getting stolen.

I think what you're saying is that you think clear looks cooler, and that looking cooler is a risk factor. Is this right?

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanatos
How's the sound quality of each?

Ah, that would be - THE SAME. It's the exact same amp, just in a different color.

I suppose that if you feel that the color of a piece of equipment colors the sound, then the clear will be more open and the black one will be dark. (You'd be wrong in this, but it's your choice.)

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
Ah, that would be - THE SAME. It's the exact same amp, just in a different color.

I suppose that if you feel that the color of a piece of equipment colors the sound, then the clear will be more open and the black one will be dark. (You'd be wrong in this, but it's your choice.)

d'oh. :) I meant... PC MKIII USB or Bithead '06.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
So, any comparisons, sound quality? Features?
Anyone have an opinion?

I own a MKIII USB. It has similar features to the Bithead, but the gain switch on the MKIII is internal. The MKIII is rugged and sounds great - the Bithead probably does too, but I have never heard it. I don't think you will go wrong with either of them.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas
I own a MKIII USB. It has similar features to the Bithead, but the gain switch on the MKIII is internal. The MKIII is rugged and sounds great - the Bithead probably does too, but I have never heard it. I don't think you will go wrong with either of them.

Internal? How do you change it? Does it also work off battery or just USB like the TBH?

Jul 28, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 15
I have the total airhead and am loving it i didnt get the bithead because i plan on getting the micro dac i hope. My vote goes to Bithead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back