PC Mag - UE triple.fi {vs} Shure e500 {vs} er-4p
Dec 1, 2006 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ssingh0

500+ Head-Fier
well sort of...

Ultimate Ears makes personal custom-molded monitors for everyone from the Who to Cirque du Soleil. Now you can get headphones of similar quality without having a professional audiologist make molds of your ears, thanks to the new UE triple.fi 10 Pro.

Designed to please true audiophiles, the triple.fi have three tiny speakers in each earphone. The high-frequency driver is the same one used in the company's famous custom UE-10 Pro monitors. Sound shoots into your ear canal via a dual-bore tube, which has separate holes for high and low frequencies. They're also extremely comfortable, with a very secure fit provided by the flexible over-the ear loops. The metallic blue color of the earphones provides an elegant accent without being garish or boring.

I found the sound to be gloriously well balanced, with sparkling highs, tight bass, and an impressive amount of detail in the midrange. I tested them against another triple-driver set of earphones, the Shure E500PTH, as well as my Etymotic ER4-P (with the S-adapter cable attached), and I definitely prefer the triple.fi 10 Pro above all of them. Compared with the Shure E500, the triple.fi's bass is tighter and less overwhelming, and the highs are more prominent and crisp. The Etymotic headphones are more accurate, but that means less bass and a somewhat harsh overall sound compared with the triple.fi, which sounds warmer and has stronger bass. Overall, the triple.fi gives me the best balance and most expansive sound among any in-ear models I've tested.

The triple.fi is an efficient set of headphones, but not quite to the same degree that the Shure E500 is. Still, it's been optimized for use with portable music players (and terminates in a gold-plated, L-shaped, eighth-inch stereo minijack), so your devices will have no trouble whatsoever driving it.

Included flexible over-the-ear loops and the relatively nonintrusive silicone tips (foam tips are also included) make for a very secure fit and eliminate any noise from the cables. Although the noise isolation isn't quite as effective as that of the Shure and Etymotic headphones, the triple.fi blocks out plenty of ambient sound. It's also easy to get a good seal once you've figured out which size tips (three sizes are included) is right for your ears. Choosing a proper tip is also important for getting the best possible sound out of in-ear headphones. Foam tips provide slightly better isolation than silicone ones for some people, though your results may vary.

Inside the package are a metal hard case, cleaning tool, fit kit with silicone and foam tips, a level attenuator (for high-output audio sources), and a quarter-inch plug adapter. Of course, the Shure E500PTH's modular cable design and Push-To-Hear unit are certainly nice perks, but the triple.fi's replaceable cables are more practical. In addition, the handy flexible loops and nonintrusive tips make it very easy to slip the headphones out of your ears temporarily when you need to hear what's going on around you.

At $399.99 (direct), the Ultimate Ears UE triple.fi 10 Pro is definitely aimed at the audiophile crowd. That said, consumer MP3 players and other portables have absolutely no problem driving these high-end headphones, and they're excellent for enjoying every subtle nuance of music, whether you're in the office, at home, commuting, or on a plane. My only gripe is that they're a little bit on the bulky side, tending to stick out of your ears a fair amount; I sometimes feel a bit Frankenstein-ish, but the comfort and sound quality are well worth it.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 14
for reference this is what he said in the e500 review

The E500PTH is the best-sounding set of in-ear headphones I've ever tested. Comparing them with, say, my Etymotic ER-4P is like comparing a set of bookshelf studio monitor speakers with a pair of floor-standing three-way speakers. Unlike the ER-4P, which favors studio-style accuracy that can sound harsh to some, the E500PTH has a muscular, rich, and extremely detailed sound that's neither harsh nor too in-your-face. I listened to everything from Coltrane and Bartok to Zeppelin and Moroccan Gnawa masters (all encoded using lossless compression); it all sounded glorious, with deep bass, nicely extended highs, and crystal-clear midrange, all of which blend together smoothly.

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 14
The TF10's are suppose to be awesome IF THEY EVER COME OUT!
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The E500PTH is the best-sounding set of in-ear headphones I've ever tested.

but also said "..I tested them against another triple-driver set of earphones, the Shure E500PTH, as well as my Etymotic ER4-P (with the S-adapter cable attached), and I definitely prefer the triple.fi 10 Pro above all of them."

Which one is it that sounds better, the E500 or the tripfi? PC mag says one is "best-sounding" and the other is a "...definitely prefer.." Is this like saying the best sounding one is not as fun to listen to?

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

The E500PTH is the best-sounding set of in-ear headphones I've ever tested. Comparing them with, say, my Etymotic ER-4P is like comparing a set of bookshelf studio monitor speakers with a pair of floor-standing three-way speakers. Unlike the ER-4P, which favors studio-style accuracy that can sound harsh to some, the E500PTH has a muscular, rich, and extremely detailed sound that's neither harsh nor too in-your-face. I listened to everything from Coltrane and Bartok to Zeppelin and Moroccan Gnawa masters (all encoded using lossless compression); it all sounded glorious, with deep bass, nicely extended highs, and crystal-clear midrange, all of which blend together smoothly.

x2

I can't wait for the Triple.fi come out though... Sparkling highs, tight bass, detailed, but smooth mids all sound wonderful
cool.gif

The E500 are too coloured for accurate classical music reproduction. Its presentation is completely different to anything I've listened to. However, they're still very nice. Switching between the analytical 404 and the E500 introduces gasps and cries
tongue.gif
It takes about 5-10 minutes to get used to the new sound.

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 14
WHY EVEN BOTHER POSTING THAT!! (sorry for the caps...)...

I just got off the phone with the UE people and the @#%$ buds won't be shipped until MARCH!! Gaaah.... I guess you're right e500s are the way to go until then.... or maybe I'll just stick with the lowly sounds of my sfp5s ..
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you're right e500s are the way to go until then
frown.gif

darn right

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I just got off the phone with the UE people and the @#%$ buds won't be shipped until MARCH!! Gaaah.... I guess you're right e500s are the way to go until then.... or maybe I'll just stick with the lowly sounds of my sfp5s ..
frown.gif

WHAT? I thought that they were going to have at least for the first 180 customers some number of units before Xmas.

E500's are looking better and better...

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

frown.gif

For some reason I think UE is in the midst of a big change. Anyone else get this sense?

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason I think UE is in the midst of a big change. Anyone else get this sense?

I think they should have just stuck with doing customs and not entered the universal market.

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Compared with the Shure E500, the triple.fi's bass is tighter and less overwhelming.

Uh it's the other way around.

The Triple.fi has a LOT of bass in comparison.

-Ed

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they should have just stuck with doing customs and not entered the universal market.

That's not a very lucrative market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back