PC independance - Olive Symphony has arrived!
May 28, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you would still void the warranty, and considering how buggy these units are, that is probably something you do not want to do. either way, my reading of these music servers the last few days has really turned me off to these things. i'm sure lots of people have no problems with these units, but it also seems that lots do.

How much does it cost anyway?

May 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #32 of 60
I was reading up on this thing from the company's web site www.olive.us. They have three products - each with different HD space capacity (perhaps also some software upgrades)--

what is really interesting is that it is in fact a PC/computer-- just without all the non-music related software and the O/S. It is an IBM computer with a HD and a CD reader and some music based software. It is amazing in some regards because I was reading an article/opinion from lessloss DAC www.lessloss.com and the engineer was explaining why a computer to an external DAC will never sound as good as a CD with transport to an external DAC. They did tests on jitter and found the HD, the Windows O/S, the drivers, the software, the services running in the background, etc all contribute to jitter.

So maybe Olive said let's take out all the unnecessary computer stuff - thus reducing jitter and just leave the bare bones minimum for a music server/music computer. The Olive can also serve as a transport via its digital out.

Hmmm -- interesting. There are going to be a number of other players in this space-- this discussion is kind of related to another thread - on whether High-end DACs are worth it because of being attached to a computer.

Very interesting.

May 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #33 of 60
May 28, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So maybe Olive said let's take out all the unnecessary computer stuff - thus reducing jitter and just leave the bare bones minimum for a music server/music computer. The Olive can also serve as a transport via its digital out.

it's a great idea. it just doesn't seem to be there yet.

May 28, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is amazing in some regards because I was reading an article/opinion from lessloss DAC www.lessloss.com and the engineer was explaining why a computer to an external DAC will never sound as good as a CD with transport to an external DAC. They did tests on jitter and found the HD, the Windows O/S, the drivers, the software, the services running in the background, etc all contribute to jitter.

now you know why vendors always use high-end cd players to show their products instead of a laptop with a dac.

May 28, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #36 of 60
yeah for now I am just glad my headphones are not R10 quality so I can continue to use my computer,i.e. I cannot hear the difference...yet. But all of this is so educating and interesting.

Not sure if it is totally true, but if so it is a shame the Olive is not there yet -- at least for some consumers.

May 28, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #37 of 60
Hey vcoheda, where did you read all this stuff? Links would be appreciated ... thanks.

Quote:

you would still void the warranty, and considering how buggy these units are, that is probably something you do not want to do. either way, my reading of these music servers the last few days has really turned me off to these things. i'm sure lots of people have no problems with these units, but it also seems that lots do.

Quote:

i read that the HD has software included in it which you would not be able to find, so it seems unlikel you could replace the internal hard drive.

Quote:

i spent the last few days reading about these music servers from olive and other companies. too many bugs. too many complaints. one of those sounds great on paper, but the product when used doesn't deliver. these things seem to be a few years away.

i'm going to stick with my single loader for now.

May 28, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey vcoheda, where did you read all this stuff? Links would be appreciated ... thanks.

i don't recall. i just put in "olive symphony" "olive musica" as well as numerous other search terms into google and starting reading. the best info i found was when there was a review and then a comment section or space for user reviews or on other audio forums. i'm sure a few searches will find most of the stuff i read. i also researched the cambridge audio music server (640H, i think). the reviews i found for that were even worse than the olive.

May 29, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #40 of 60
Hi,

I bought one of these,

TVIX HD M-4000P without HDD (M-4000P) $249.00

http://www.tvixusa.com/default.asp?id=47&mnu=47

VFD display
USB2.0 Host 2 Ports
USB2.0 Target 1 Port LAN(10/100Mbps)
Multi I/O Jack
IR remote transceiver/Receiver
Video Output Composite, S-Video, Component(YPbPr), DVI
Audio Output Stereo Analog, Digital(Optical, Coaxial)
With a Free carrying bag for limited time
Hard Disk Drive is not included. Requires an IDE Hard Disk Drive.

Put a 250 gig hard drive in it, $69.00.

Works great, costs a little less, plays movies, pick your own drive size.

RA

May 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than the ripping features, what's the difference between this and say a NAS/dedicated PC server and a squeezebox?

Not much - but it does include convenience factors (they will rip 500 CDs for free) and theoretically less jitter because a PC server would have all the needless software (O/S, etc). Also the Olive can be used as a transport only. With Olive you do not need to be concerned about software incompatibility (e.g., iTunes 7.1.x does not work with Multi-plugin to Foobar 9.x).

Ultimately, if the sound quality from a pc server works for you then there is no need for Olive.

May 29, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #42 of 60
Just thought I would chime back in and report that my Olive is working fine and I'm still loving it and have had no issues with it.
icon10.gif

May 29, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #43 of 60
The so called problems with it were probably because of people that don't know how to work with computers very well.

May 29, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I would chime back in and report that my Olive is working fine and I'm still loving it and have had no issues with it.
icon10.gif

That's good. Congrats on your purchase. It does look very elegant/upscale.

May 29, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Hey, thanks. Eyeing one ever since YOU bought one and posted.
smily_headphones1.gif
I haven't heard much but the pro reviews I've read (Stereophile, etc) have been positive, too. I wonder what the top complaints for others were...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back