PC Hardware Gurus... Advice Needed...
Jun 13, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #16 of 22
I had the same problem earlier this year... well minus the electrified case
icon10.gif
first thing I discovered was 1 of my memory slots was dead... so i just swapped it to another slot... problem was fixed for a little while or so it seamed... then it started acting up again then the power supply blew up and took the mobo with it, or maybe the other way around who knows
frown.gif
.... so $160 later it was all up and working again...at least it was an excuse to upgrade a bit
icon10.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 22
i believe that is a CPU or hardware overheating issue, make sure the CPU heatsink has been properly installed. The Cpu overheating protection in the motherboard switches the PC off as soon as the CPu reaches it's threshold temperature.

Download a hardware monitoring tool or try to monitor the temperatures from the BIOS keeping the PC on for a while.

Post the complete specs of the pc.

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 22
What mobo? How old is it? Do you overclock?

Look at the capacitors around the CPU - do they seem fat or is the tops of the capacitors not flat on indented in? If they are rounded on the tops - you have cpacitor 'pop-corning'. Replace all the caps.

Do you have good aire circulation? Keep the side cover off. Does the PC shut down? Do you have a temp monitoring utility program? If noit you will have to check your temps in the BIOS.

Does the fan on the video card turn?

How many fans in the case? and do they all turn? Are the intakes clotted up with dust or lint?

Do you have some weird fan geometry, like an intake fan on the side cover blowing in? Is there a shroud on it? Do you have exhaust fans on the back of the case? Do you have a much stronger fan over the PSU?

Did you try a different power cord? Did you check your outlet for proper grounding?

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #19 of 22
I still think faulty RAM is the most likely problem, but then that odd grounding issue... sure it wasn't just static buildup? IME, if there's a short, it just doesn't boot. I had an issue with a case bulging inward and making contact with the bottom of a mobo once. Just refused to boot until I figured out what the problem was. Then it was fine.

Do you have any spare sticks of RAM, another PSU, or mobo? That makes things much nicer. Start swapping RAM (and do as Snake suggested; take all but one out), the PSU, and so on.

Jun 14, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #20 of 22
Well...

It appears that its business as usual now (36hrs on after the initial problem)... so, i'll close the case for now...

...and i'll presume that the shocks I was getting was static too... makes sense...

...Hopefully I won't be back to this thread in a hurry
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 22
If my processor gets too hot my computer resets to save the processors life. If the temperature is reaching 90 degrees thats not good. :p

Biggie.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
If my processor gets too hot my computer resets to save the processors life. If the temperature is reaching 90 degrees thats not good. :p

Biggie.

Is that Celsius or Fahrenheit? If it's Fahrenheit, that's not bad at all for modern systems. My Athlon XP used to hit 120F regularly in the summer when idling. 140F under load. Did some massive case mods to it, and now it hovers around 100F under load. I had another XP box that had even worse ventilation, though, and it got up to about 170F one day. Still ran solid as a rock. I was amazed.

Oh, and if it's Celsius... take cover
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back