PC geeks on head-fi.. Please xplain me multiple vga cards in one pc issue..
Mar 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there're configurations(crossfire, sli...) where two identical vga's work together to make it a faster pc, but i heard today that you can install random vga in addition to current one which will process only "physics". How exactly this works and what kind of motherboard is required for this?

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 21
You would just need a board with 3 x16 slots or a third slot that is appropriate for whatever card it is that you have. Are you refering to the Physics add in cards or just a third video card?

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if he talked about 3-rd card, but afaik he has hd 4870 card and he said "i might throw in a 9600 for physics"...

This would make a nice mate for your rig if you dont have any long slots leftover. Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Video Cards & Video Devices,Desktop Graphics / Video Cards,PCI Express x1,
wink_face.gif

Hell, even something in a PCI slot. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 21
Ah... 2 Video Cards = Crossfire/Sli depending on the brand. A third could be used to either;
A)Run as a Physics card
B)Become a third chain of Crossfire to get CrossfireX, providing the third one is an identical one to the first two.

But since nVidia bought over the Physics card company thingie (corporate stuff), all of the new gen nVidia cards have Physics built in if I'm not mistaken. My laptop's 9600m GT has built in Physics.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 21
You cannot mix and match ATI with Nvidia. You can with some degree use different video cards by either maker from the last two generations in an SLI or Crossfire arrangement. Both video card companies allow for physics calculations to be done on a third card.

May I suggest to take a read over at HardForums.com There are plenty of more qualified people there to answer your questions.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah... 2 Video Cards = Crossfire/Sli depending on the brand. A third could be used to either;
A)Run as a Physics card
B)Become a third chain of Crossfire to get CrossfireX, providing the third one is an identical one to the first two.

But since nVidia bought over the Physics card company thingie (corporate stuff), all of the new gen nVidia cards have Physics built in if I'm not mistaken. My laptop's 9600m GT has built in Physics.

I dont think its on board, I think its software developed by nvidia using the old platform they purchased.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both video card companies allow for physics calculations to be done on a third card.

And this 3rd card can be PCI or PCI1x like olblueyez suggested, cause i guess pci16 slots are occupied already...?

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 21
If you mean Aegia Physics cards, total waste of money and it's now dead (except on Nvidia GPU's it has it on the core for 8K series and up)

Spend more money on faster / quad core CPU, more memory, or a faster GPU. Don't buy a dedicated Aegia card, or another GPU for dedicated physics.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this 3rd card can be PCI or PCI1x like olblueyez suggested, cause i guess pci16 slots are occupied already...?

I have an idea but would prefer not to give bad info. The last system I built was crossfire with ageia physics. I personally would have to go over to hardforum to read up on a few threads.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 21
currently, only PhysX is supported on nVidia cards (to my knowledge), and AMD has more or less given up on the 3rd GPU for physics notion

either way, the performance gains are non-existant, and the effects added are equally unimpressive, if you have two or three graphics cards, use them for graphics, you'll get more out of the investment

in terms of how it works, exactly, well, thats sort of in-between trade secret and overly technical explanation, mainboard requirements are identical to what is required for SLI (as it runs through the nVidia drivers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back