PC gaming sound setup suggestions.
Feb 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

airwolf3924

New Head-Fier
Previously in my gaming days i had a mediocre PC and a $30 pair of Turtle Beaches. But now ive gone the way of a 17 3770k, GTX 780 SC, and a Asrock Z77 extreme 4 MoBo. So i have all this graphical awesomeness but the same boring sound. I have read for DAYS on all the different headphones/ amps/ sound cards and setups and i find that if i want to fully understand everything it is going to take weeks to look through everything. This is where i need your guys's help :).

Currently im thinking of buying the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset for Pro Gaming, an Astro mixamp, and a ASUS PCI-Express x1 7.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DX/XD/A/90-YAA060-1UAN00Z.

What im looking for is something with a wide range of sound. Good positioning is key, as for the mids and highs. Im not a bass head, but i dont want bass to be too quiet. This WILL NOT be for music and movies. Strictly gaming!!

P.S I also have a PS4. So the sound card needs an optical out & DDL so i can hook up the astro mix amp. As for the mic, i have a blue snowball so the mic on the headset is not needed. In fact, im sure the headphone is cheaper without a mic. Something to kep in mind. 

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 8
All you need the is Dolby surround, which this sound card has. When you instal the asus software you select Dolby and choose the 7.1 chanels (you don't need acctual 7.1 outputs). Usually people are quite impressed with dolby, as you can hear footsteps coming from behind for example and other voices that you can pinpoint. If you are not looking for music or movies the headphones and the sound card you mentioned should be just fine. I'm using Asus D2X and Q701 for gaming.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 8
  Previously in my gaming days i had a mediocre PC and a $30 pair of Turtle Beaches. But now ive gone the way of a 17 3770k, GTX 780 SC, and a Asrock Z77 extreme 4 MoBo. So i have all this graphical awesomeness but the same boring sound. I have read for DAYS on all the different headphones/ amps/ sound cards and setups and i find that if i want to fully understand everything it is going to take weeks to look through everything. This is where i need your guys's help :).
Currently I'm thinking of buying the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset for Pro Gaming, an Astro mixamp, and a ASUS PCI-Express x1 7.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DX/XD/A/90-YAA060-1UAN00Z.
What I'm looking for is something with a wide range of sound. Good positioning is key, as for the mids and highs. I'm not a bass head, but I don't want bass to be too quiet. This WILL NOT be for music and movies. Strictly gaming!!

I would say to not get the Astro Mix-amp, which is great for gaming consoles, but sound card would be a better choice for PCs.

A Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card ($75), with a Sennheiser HD558 (used, $94) and any add-on mic you like( price?), might be a better value.
A Asus Xonar Essence STX would offer better sound quality, then the SB-Z, but cost over twice as much (new) as the SB-Z.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 8
thx for the reply. Ive heard alot "gaming headsets suck, buy a audiophone".

I find several audiophones cheaper than the 360. Is there one with better positional sound and sound accuracy than the 360 and under $170? Keep in mind i dont want to sacrifice anything. Money isnt an issues, but if i dont have to overpay.. then why overpay :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 8
  I would say to not get the Astro Mix-amp, which is great for gaming consoles, but sound card would be a better choice for PCs.

A Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card ($75), with a Sennheiser HD558 (used, $94) and any add-on mic you like( price?), might be a better value.
A Asus Xonar Essence STX would offer better sound quality, then the SB-Z, but cost over twice as much (new) as the SB-Z.

Ah yes, the Sennheiser HD558. Its $120 new ($40 cheaper than the sennheiser 360) which is good. As for the mic, i have a blue snowball. So mics are not necessary. 

Does this headphone have equal/better sound than the sennheiser 360? 

P.S. i forgot to mention that i do have a PS4, so a sound card with an optical out is a must so i can run the astro mix amp

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Well I haven't heard the 360s, but I own the HD558 and they are very good headphones. And being open it is better for gaming as it has bigger soundstage.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 8
  Ah yes, the Sennheiser HD558. Its $120 new ($40 cheaper than the Sennheiser 360) which is good. As for the mic, i have a blue snowball. So mics are not necessary. 
Does this headphone have equal/better sound than the Sennheiser 360? 
P.S. i forgot to mention that I do have a PS4, so a sound card with an optical out is a must so i can run the Astro mix amp

The Senn PC360 and HD558 use the same 50-Ohm driver.
Get the SB-Z for the PC and the Astro mix-amp for gaming consoles (PS4)

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 8
I found the 558s have too much bass for gaming so I went with the 598s (this is years ago).  The 598s are currently $188 on Amazon right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back