PC Gaming - intro to Virtual surround set-up?
Feb 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bosgorilla

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently restarted gaming on my PC, and am using an old wireless Sennheiser RS 170 that I had. It has a surround button on it, but I don't really feel like it's helping me out much ingame (mostly playing CS:GO right now).
I also have a Sony MDR-7506 that I use at work for listening to music, but from what I read, it is not the best pair of headphones for gaming.

After reading some reviews on some gaming headsets such as Kingston Hypercloud II and CM Sirus 5.1 true surround, I was wondering if a decent headphone for the same budget wouldn't be better quality. 
That brought me to Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide, and so now I have some basic questions. 

Do I need to get a special soundcard to generate that Virtual surround sound? I know that MLE is a console gamer, and I notice all those Dolby Headphone devices, but are those devices also required when you have a soundcard? Or are those only required for Consoles?
I have my eyes set on the Tritton 720+ because it has the device as well as the headset for quite a low price. I don't need the mic on the headset, but it seems cheaper than getting a device and another headphone...
And I could always upgrade the headset to something better later, and keep the Tritton 720 Dolby Headphone device.

Thanks a lot for any input you could provide.

Bosgorilla

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 10
Pretty much every sound card now days has some kind of virtual surround in it but some are more effective than others (the Realtek's surround is the weakest in my opinion). You could try out Razer's surround sound (which is free) and see how that works for you. What sound card is in your computer right now?

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 10
I play mostly CS:GO as well (rig in profile :) ) and I say nuts to that surround sound BS. I use Fostex TH-600 with a Schiit stack and a Rode NT-USB as a mic. I have all effects disabled and I have no issue with audio positioning. Before all of this I used the Sennheiser PC 363D and the virtual surround sound switch on the USB adapter was trash. I much preferred plugging straight into the analog output but they don't have the bass or volume without an amp for music.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 10
The surround sound for headphones is just a conversion from surround sound to binaural audio for headphones. Since you need to give surround sound to the sound device, remember to set the game to 5.1 audio and also set windows to 5.1 audio.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for your replies.

I currently do not have a dedicated soundcard, only onboard on my Asus p7p55-m motherboard (2010). 
I am planning to buy a new PC in the next weeks. 

As I don't yet have a soundcard, I was looking into those Dolby Headphones Devices, especially the Tritton 720 combo. If I get that set, I get the device and headset for less than 150eur. 
That's cheaper than buying a soundcard and a decent pair of headphones. 

This is MLE's review:
 Sells for $129 (Best Buy).
Review (Click to hide) My ex-roommate purchased the AX720, and I'm happy to say that it's a pretty decent headset. I find it better than what I remember the A40s to be, but the general consensus is that the A40s are slightly better than the AX720 which is why I can't really judge the A40s. The AX720's mic works fine, the amp is comparable to the Mixamp if slightly MORE powerful and sleeker and more practical (it's a set top box, which you don't need next to you unlike the Mixamp). The headset itself is closed and comfortable, with good positional accuracy, with a small but still decently spaced out soundstage. It doesn't come close to the headphones I have mentioned, but it's a great starting headset which you can consider FREE, as what you really want is the AX720 virtual surround amp. Many people wouldn't have an issue with the AX720 headset. It doesn't do anything horribly wrong, but doesn't do anything particularly particularly well either. It's just good enough to get you going.

Comfort-wise, I didn't find them bad or great. They do their job, though for a sealed headphone, they are comfortable.

Fun: 6.5/10 (Decent)

Competitive: 7/10 (Good)

Comfort: 7/10 (Good)

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Ok, so I understand now that for PC gaming, I don't need a Dolby Headphone Device, as I can get a PC Soundcard which is cheaper, and might have more features. 
I was pointed to the Asus Xonar DG(X) which is around 35-40 euro.

Should that provide better quality than the Tritton 720, please? 

Also, that means I can start looking into Headphones again :)

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 10
Asus Xonar are quality products BUT motherboards have gotten much better with onboard sound. I don't find a need for a separate sound card any more. Granted I'm using USB for my DAC but plugging headphones directly into my motherboard sounds fine as well. It's usually a matter of power output depending on the headphones you get.

I replied to your PM regarding amps/DACs. An amp would only be absolutely necessary if you have volume issues (can't get loud enough) directly from your PC. The Schiit Magni 2 that I recommended is a relatively cheap option that has more power than most.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 10
The audio in your motherboard isn't that great so yes the Xonar DGX or the Tritton will be a nice step-up. They both have Dolby headphone which is what I think you're looking for but the Tritton lists little for specs which makes me like leary, but most gamers care look for stuff that looks cool and has deep booming bass rather than audio quality. The Tritton has more features but your money is going into the box rather than the headset and most of the extra features are for consoles. Most of us would suggest that you should spend the majority of your money on the headphones/headset over the source. But like jammonster was saying, you may need to adjust your source depending on what headphones you have or want to get. I don't know how much you want to spend but if you're looking for a good bank for your buck headphone/headset the Sennheiser HD558 or the Kingston HyperX (first version) gets recommended a lot.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Hi Chancho2, Jammonster,

Thanks for your replies, you are helping me a lot! 

I was thinking for putting aside around 200 euro for the Audio part of my new PC. 
If my new motherboard would provide everything I need for the surround sound part, I guess I can spend most of that budget on the headphones/headset.

When first looking into getting a headset, I read a lot of positive things about the Kingston HyperX Cloud I and II. With the II having 7.1 Virtual Surround... However, I guess that's not required as it's on my motherboard/soundcard - which is probably why you advice the old one. 
The old one I can find for 80eur, the new one 100eur. 
The Sennheiser HD 558 I can find for around 149eur. The Sennheiser HD 598 for 189eur. The Sennheiser G4ME One and Zero are also around that same 200eur range.

Do you think the increase in price of the Kingston around 100 to the Sennheiser HD 598 or G4ME One/Zero for 200 would make a big increase in quality?

The microphone in the headset would be a nice bonus, but not required, as I have a seperate mic that I use at the moment.

Thanks!

Dieter

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Thank you everyone for all your input and advice. It is really appreciated.
I have decided to go for the Sennheiser G4ME ONE.

Next thing is to get my new PC so I can use it to its full potential :)

Thanks again! 

Dieter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back