PC Gamer - do I need a headphone amp?
Jan 4, 2014 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BDS5

New Head-Fier
So after doing quite a bit of reading on the web I think I've just confused myself and read conflicting information.

First a bit of background. I mainly play FPS games CS:GO primarily atm. I have an old X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card in my current rig and just ordered AKG K702 Headphones (these are the non ani version hope these are still as good as teh 701's atleast) after reading Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide.

I don't listen to music much really and do watch some anime etc on my PC but the quality of the sound really isn't a concern for me in these instances. My main question is it needed or will it improve my PC gaming experience with getting positional information on my opponents? (footsteps, gunfire, etc) I don't want more bass as I find that it covers up the more subtle queues I'm listening for in competitive gaming.

Thanks for your help!

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 4
Bump - also if the amp is needed I am willing to spend up to $150 but would prefer to keep it at or below $100 if that is possible while still getting something decent.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 4
  Bump - also if the amp is needed I am willing to spend up to $150 but would prefer to keep it at or below $100 if that is possible while still getting something decent.

An external headphone amplifier, like the Schiit Magni, $99, should do a better job of driving the AKG K702s, then plugging the K702 directly into the Xtremegamer, by how much better, not sure.
You could also just replace the Xtremegamer with a Sound Blaster Z, $60-$90, comes with a built in headphone amplifier, not as good an amp as the Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back