PC->DAC: How Good Is It?
Jan 17, 2005 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
In the HTPC relm: How good is lossless files through the digital out into an outboard DAC, such as an ART DI/O?

I've played with hooking PCs up to stereo's, but have yet to make a perminant addition to my system because I haven't heard a soundcard as good as my simple Yamaha CDC 565 or a Toshiba 3960 (un-moded). I'd like to put one in to replace the changer, but don't want to unless I am atleast maintaining the limitied quality that I already have.

Anybody playing their tunes via an outboard DAC? Any prolems or drawbacks worth mentioning?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Redneck
In the HTPC relm: How good is lossless files through the digital out into an outboard DAC, such as an ART DI/O?

..its as good as your dac is, basically. Usually the jitter coming off the HD will be as low or lower than most cd transports mere mortals can afford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Redneck
Anybody playing their tunes via an outboard DAC? Any problems or drawbacks worth mentioning?

Yep, there are many doing this, myself included. Biggest problems will be keeping pc noise down, allowing enough disk space for your tunes, and finding a way to get a remote control interface with your pc (if that's important to you). Also, you have to be careful about setup so that the operating system doesn't resample the digital output.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Speaking stock performance wise, just get an 0404 or 1212m, stock it will be better than those cheap DVD player like the Toshiba or cheap DACs like ART DI/O.

If you get an external DAC, you'll have to worry about the quality of digital output and cable. So it'll be more costly than getting internal soundcard since you'd want the emu for digital out anyway (since they're better than other soundcards in this regard).

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 9
1212m is better than 1212m -> ART DI/O

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
1212m is better than 1212m -> ART DI/O

So you would say 0404 is better than 0404 -> ART DI/O also?

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Stock wise the 0404 is better also.

I still have a modded DI/O because I like it. Then again since my digital cable, power conditioning, and digital signal are all great, it shows. A stock DI/O isn't really competative. More than likely a lower budget user would use a cheap digital cable, source, and no/little power conditioning.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back