PC + console setup using one DAC and headphones
Jun 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jjpiotrowicz

New Head-Fier
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone and experess the impression I got from the community. The amount of knowledge and research I was able to read through has beeb outstanding. However, I think my case is quite specific and I feel quite lost in spite of the previous research.

I need a way to connect my PC and Xbox sound to one receiver that will also output the sound. I would like to use an optical/USB cable from the PC (I dont do any gaming on the computer). That would be the first imput. Second one is the Xbox connected to my monitor using an HDMI cable. What I would like to achieve here is to output the sound coming from the console to the one receiver that will also accommodate the data coming from the PC. Then, I will be using headphones mainly (decent output is necessary) but also I would like to leave an option to connect active speakers later (so a line out).
The goal here is to avoid switching the headphones between the devices.

Should I go with a DAC? DAC + headphone amp? AV receiver? My budget is limited but if I have to I am prepared to save some money for the cause.

Thank You for You time and looking forward to replies.

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 10
YAMAHA RX-A710 AVENTAGE Series Home Theater Receiver  $329.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa710bl/yamaha-rx-a710-aventage-series-home-theater-receiver/1.html
Good amplifier and comes with Yamaha's Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound.
So run HDMI from the xBox to the Yamaha and HDMI from the Yamaha to the TV.

You can also run HDMI from the PC to the Yamaha.
(can pass up to 8-channels of uncompressed audio)

Or run optical from the PC to the Yamaha.
If you wanted 5.1 (6-channel) surround sound (using optical) from the PC to the Yamaha.
(S/PDIF optical normally only pass 2-channel of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio)
You would need DDL (Dolby Digital live) or DTS-Connect, to be able to send up to 6-channel of audio thru the optical cable.
If your PC does not have SSL or DTS-Connect, you can get a sound card that comes with compression software,
like the Asus Xonar DS or DSX (DTS) or the Xonar DX or D1 (DDL)

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks. I mainly listen to music on the PC and I am not bothered about 5.1 sound. 

Will the receiver pass the HDMI video signal through? You suggested hooking up the Xbox to Yamaha first.

Also, could I get the same set of functions for something about 200$? (HDMI in, optical in)

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 10
  Thanks. I mainly listen to music on the PC and I am not bothered about 5.1 sound. 
Will the receiver pass the HDMI video signal through? You suggested hooking up the Xbox to Yamaha first.
Also, could I get the same set of functions for something about 200$? (HDMI in, optical in)

The Yamaha receiver will pass the video from the gaming console, thru itself, to the TV.
The Yamaha RX-V373 is selling for $200 new and around $145 refurb (Amazon).

Here is a refurb Yamaha HTR-3066, for $170, it appears to be a about equal to a RX-V375
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamhtr3066bl/yamaha-htr-3066-5.1-a/v-receiver-like-rx-v375/1.html

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Great. The last question.

My PC monitor has not got the HDMI in, only DVI. So will I get the sound coming from the receiver and then vision on the screen if I use an HDMI to DVI cable coming out from the receiver to the screen?

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 10
  Great. The last question.

My PC monitor has not got the HDMI in, only DVI. So will I get the sound coming from the receiver and then vision on the screen if I use an HDMI to DVI cable coming out from the receiver to the screen?

In theory I believe you could use a HDMI to DVI-D cable between the receiver and the monitor.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 10
The only issue now I am worried about is the space, these receivers are massive and I have to accommodate it on my desk.

Will something like Asus Xonar U7 work with the Xbox plugged into the monitor that has an audio out? I could then plug it into the external soundcard?

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 10
  The only issue now I am worried about is the space, these receivers are massive and I have to accommodate it on my desk.

Will something like Asus Xonar U7 work with the Xbox plugged into the monitor that has an audio out? I could then plug it into the external soundcard?

I do not think that would work.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 10
I am thinking now about a different idea.

What if I were to link amp/receiver to the Xbox via optical? I could then use second HDMI to DVI cable just for the video.

If I had second digital input on the receiver I could also connect PC sound card via optical.

Does that make sense?

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 10
  I am thinking now about a different idea.
What if I were to link amp/receiver to the Xbox via optical? I could then use second HDMI to DVI cable just for the video.
If I had second digital input on the receiver I could also connect PC sound card via optical.
Does that make sense?

So run an optical cable from the xBox to the amp/receiver and run a HDMI to DVI cable from the xBox to the TV.
Modern receiver come with lots of S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back