PC Audiophiles - onboard versus purchased sound card
May 19, 2009 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jthm

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if it is worth my while to purchase an independent sound card or if the difference would not be negligible with my 5.1 Logitech surround sound speakers.

May 19, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 8
wont make a noticible difference on your logitech

might be better idea to upgrade the speaker system

May 20, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 8
My onboard (motherboard) audio controler is bit perfect capable. So I output a bit perfect digital signal to my DAC and there is no use for a 200$ soundcard like the X-Fi Prelude.

May 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
I have got myself an Creative XFi Music soundcard, and have to say, the difference is much more than legible. Usually its not worth, though, as I have Logitech 230s currently and they suck. I would have much rather spent the £50 on them to get me a better pair of speaker had I not already had that in the works.

May 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wont make a noticible difference on your logitech

might be better idea to upgrade the speaker system

x2

However...if you are planning on upgrading your speakers or listening to headphones, I might add that even my old Audigy card sounded better than my on-board Realtek 888 chip on my headphones.

May 20, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 8
so much hatred for Logitech here! funny!
I have the z5500 with the onboard realtech and am saving up for the Xonar HDAV deluxe, which suits my needs better than the the Xonar Essence, I am sure that once installed the difference will be more than noticeable (ok, I am hoping!!)

May 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
When I had the z5500, I definitely noticed a difference going from onboard audio to the now discontinued X-fi Xtreme Music soundcard for movies and games (support for Dolby surround, EAX, etc.) Music was blah straight from either, though better from the z5500 control console than straight from the motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back