PC Audio setup: +/- 200 bucks
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jackstack10

Head-Fier
I just got a new pair of psb m4u1s for christmas, and am looking to improve my sound setup for my pc. I will obvious get an amp, need suggestions on that, but im also wondering if i should get a soundcard and use its DAC or get an external one. I play a lot of games and listen to a lot of music. Is digital surround worth it with the xonar dx DAC? Or should i get an external DAC? How much of a difference will a solid amp and DAC make vs the onboard realtek alc892? Thanks

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 21
A lot of gamers would tell you yes. For music, no. Most people find that Dolby Headphone is not good for music.

Appreciate the reply, so what would be the best setup for a fairly balanced setup, lots of gaming and lots of music, I wouldn't be using dolby headphone for that.  I'm not a competitive gamer or anything, just like to be immersed properly.  Do DACs matter for SQ as much as amps and would external DAC and amp with the onboard be better than a discrete with just the amp?  I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm using my money properly.  Thanks for the reply in multiple threads btw haha.  EDIT:  Also, I have had experience with dolby digital surround before in a G930 headset and enjoyed it but I'm not sure if an external amp/DAC would work with it.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 21
Get a Xonar DG (or DGX). That would give you Dolby Headphone capability for gaming.

Buy an external DAC/amp that takes optical input. Hook it to the Xonar, and you still get the Dolby Headphone for gaming.

But a good headphone amp/DAC with the Xonar DG will run you more than $200 (more like $250). If you are going to be buying more headphones one day in the future, you could see the extra expense as an investment for powering other headphones.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 21
Get a Xonar DG (or DGX). That would give you Dolby Headphone capability for gaming.

Buy an external DAC/amp that takes optical input. Hook it to the Xonar, and you still get the Dolby Headphone for gaming.

But a good headphone amp/DAC with the Xonar DG will run you more than $200 (more like $250). If you are going to be buying more headphones one day in the future, you could see the extra expense as an investment for powering other headphones.

Not sure I'm going to buy more headphones soon as I have the M4U1, maybe I'll buy the DG and get an objective 2 odac combo or schiit stack, any thoughts?

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 21
Those headphones are rated at 32 Ohms. I dont think you'll need an amp. An Asus or Creative card should be more than enough to power those psb headphones. Or just use your onboard sound if you dont want surround sounds (I find stereo to be better anyway but, thats just me). Get a soundcard if your onboard  is noisy or lacks the features you want. No need to waste cash on stuff that you dont need :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 21
Those headphones are rated at 32 Ohms. I dont think you'll need an amp. An Asus or Creative card should be more than enough to power those psb headphones. Or just use your onboard sound if you dont want surround sounds (I find stereo to be better anyway but, thats just me). Get a soundcard if your onboard  is noisy or lacks the features you want. No need to waste cash on stuff that you dont need :)

I know its low amt of ohms, i figured it would significantly improve sound quality using those.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 21
I know its low amt of ohms, i figured it would significantly improve sound quality using those.

My experience has been: with low ohm headphones, power doesnt make a difference. Now this isnt true for every headphone and I havent listened to the psb ones that you have. And Im just going on what Ive used. But Im confident that you dont need a dedicated amp. And from a sound quality perspective, you should get the same using onboard vs internal/external sound card or dedicated headphone amp. But sometimes the onboard is poorly implemented and will cause white noise or hums or crackling. If you experience any of that or you want the dolby headphone or other surround sound options for headphones than get a dedicated sound card. 

I love audio and I love using audio hardware like sound cards and such. But only if it makes sense. And in your case I dont think it will make sense. Unless its adding features that your onboard doesnt have that you'll use. Just trying to save you money so you can by more games and music :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 21
  My experience has been: with low ohm headphones, power doesnt make a difference. Now this isnt true for every headphone and I havent listened to the psb ones that you have. And Im just going on what Ive used. But Im confident that you dont need a dedicated amp. And from a sound quality perspective, you should get the same using onboard vs internal/external sound card or dedicated headphone amp. But sometimes the onboard is poorly implemented and will cause white noise or hums or crackling. If you experience any of that or you want the dolby headphone or other surround sound options for headphones than get a dedicated sound card. 

I love audio and I love using audio hardware like sound cards and such. But only if it makes sense. And in your case I dont think it will make sense. Unless its adding features that your onboard doesnt have that you'll use. Just trying to save you money so you can by more games and music :)

Isn't it more about clean sound and control than power with amp/dac?

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 21
  Isn't it more about clean sound than power with amp/dac?

What Im trying to say is that with your headphone, they dont need an external amp and the dac on the motherboard should provide a clean audio signal. But not all motherboards have good implemented onboard audio. Do you hear any hissing, crackling, pops, or hums using onboard? If the answer is no to all then youre good. If the answer is yes to just one of those then an external dac or a dedicated will make a difference.

Basically, test what you have. If you find that youre missing something (like headphone gaming features) or the audio signal isnt clean, that thats when you get new hardware.

EDIT: the purpose with an amp is to provide power to a headphone that is being under powered. All an amp will do is amplify the signal. A garbage signal amplified is just more garbage. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 21
  What Im trying to say is that with your headphone, they dont need an external amp and the dac on the motherboard should provide a clean audio signal. But not all motherboards have good implemented onboard audio. Do you hear any hissing, crackling, pops, or hums using onboard? If the answer is no to all then youre good. If the answer is yes to just one of those then an external dac or a dedicated will make a difference.

Basically, test what you have. If you find that youre missing something (like headphone gaming features) or the audio signal isnt clean, that thats when you get new hardware.

EDIT: the purpose with an amp is to provide power to a headphone that is being under powered. All an amp will do is amplify the signal. A garbage signal amplified is just more garbage. 

Ok, thanks for the replies, should i upgrade from my onboard realtek alc892 or just look elsewhere to spend my money?
EDIT:  No, I don't hear hissing, etc, I'm just looking to improve the sound to get the best out of my headphones.  Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back